1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for an article for children about saving water/using less electricity in the home

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi. I am a trainee teacher and I am teaching a year 5 class unit 5a) persuasive writing, from Tuesday. I have done a lot of my planning for the unit. The school uses hamilton trust english plans to inform their planning so that's what I've done, however I've been told it needs to link to the environment, energy use, sources of energy and recycling. That's the topic work we're doing for the term. For one lesson I have three articles about turning off taps to save water from www.teachitprimary.co.uk which I plan to use, however while these would be suitable for two groups, they are not going to stretch the other two groups in the class so I have been looking for another resource with a similar focus and was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction. Today, I have been looking for ages for something which would be appropriate however everything I've found is more for teenagers and adults and the children would probably have trouble understanding it. It will be the first lesson on persuasive writing so the children will be given a list of features of persuasive texts and are going to be spotting these features in different articles, discussing why they are used, the effect that they have etc.
    I am also looking for articles about conserving energy in the home. I am sure there are loads out there which would be suitable for children and I'm probably just looking in the wrong places. I really want to get this right and teach really good lessons so if someone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I have all of my other planning done and resources are prepared. It's just the English which I have to finish and is causing me problems, just because I want to find texts which are relevant to the topic and have plenty of persuasive features in. I've come across plenty of texts but they don't really use e.g. emotive language and rhetorical questions. They don't seem particularly persuasive and I want to get the children to really feel something when they read the articles. I want something that would empower people to act. Also, if someone knows of an article persuading kids not to drop litter and for example, how dropping litter impacts on animals, this would also be helpful.

2. I'm also looking for a few articles about graffiti and I want half the class to write about why graffiti is wrong and the other half to write about why graffiti can be a good thing. I don't know what form this will take yet, e.g. poster, newspaper article etc. I don't expect people to do the work for me. All I'm after is some useful websites.

3. to get best results and ensure writing has the features you want you are best probably to research facts and write your own that way you know they will have features you want- real wriiting rarely does!

4. I agree. I've been searching for over an hour and am not happy with anything that I've found. I think writing my own will be the best thing to do, to get it the way I want it. If anyone does recommend using anything though, please still post.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. Thank you. I saw them this morning and they are useful. I'm just trying to get a clear picture in my head of what I'm going to do. I have the objectives written so I know what I want to teach them and most of the planning is done (and I mean 3 weeks worth of planning. The teacher likes checking lots at a time but I do make changes as I go along after teaching a lesson). I'm going to re-write some of the resources I already have, to make sure everyone in the class is stretched because there's a wide ability range. English is the subject I don't really like or feel confident teaching, but I'm going to try my best. That's why the thought of writing my own texts makes me feel a bit anxious because I've never liked or felt confident in my own writing but I'm in the middle of it now and I think what I'm doing is fine. I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement but as long as they are pushed and meet the learning objectives they'll do. I think I'm always striving for perfection but spending so long on everything makes it such a long and tiring process which isn't realistic to try to keep up.

7. DFC

DFC New commenter

I often use Writing Fun by Jenny Eather and adapt the texts to include what I wan.