1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice...part-time contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chococake128, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Hello All

I work 0.6 of a contract, mornings only plus one afternoon each week. I have no job-share as my class is covered by an array of different folks in the afternoon.

Therefore, I appear to be in charge of, dare I say it, the 'important bits' including planning for some of the afternoon sessions, Year 6 play, assemblies, SATs teaching, English, Maths, topic, spellings, homework, set-up of classroom, behaviour, parents evenings, attending all staff-meetings, insets, trips, most displays, all assessments etc.

I do have an afternoon of PPA though which I realise is over and beyond the amount I should have.

I feel that as a part-time member of staff this is unbalanced. Thoughts? Should I flee?

Thanks in advance xx

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Seems the school has a good deal and as basically you are the ;class teacher' , I don't think it unbalanced. Whether this was what you anticipated when applying to work f-t is another matter.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It doesn't matter about your level of part timeness-as soon as you are in every day of the week, you might as well be full time.
    If you changed to a full time post, your working hours would be barely over what you do now, but the pay would be a lot more; the commuting, the getting out of bed with resignation, and the wearing and laundering of work clothes would probably be the same. The planning would be less because you'd be planning for yourself, so you could subtract all that time you currently spend communicating with somebody who props up the class in your absence. I could go on.

Or if you altered your 0.6 to be spread over 3 days only, you'd feel that you had 0.4 of your week to yourself, something that seems to be there on paper when you take any 0.6 contract, but in reality is not there if you have to go into school over three times per week.
    The key thing to ask when part time working is "on how many days will I have to attend school?"
    Clearly this was not a factor in your deciding to go ahead with your current set up, but perhaps it ought to be in your next one-as it is, you are giving your school a good deal but giving yourself a poor one. Who is more important here?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's good for the kids.

That continuity for (and I agree with you) what it deemed to be the "important bits".

So you teach all the mornings and get an afternoon of PPA and are paid 0.6. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

But it may not SUIT you. That's quite another story. Only YOU can decide if you want to continue.

But, for the kids and the school, it's well structured.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Often mornings-only will amount to 0.6 without adding in an afternoon, so it's worth just checking that. You need to add up your teaching+PPA, and divide that by the teaching time in the timetable (not including assemblies, breaks, registration if that's separate). That whole afternoon of PPA is rather less generous if actually they should be paying you nearer 0.7.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This is more than 0.6, so isn't ok.
    Which would be fine apart from
    which shouldn't happen. Stop doing that next year. Or just hand over this year's plans and leave them to make of it what they will.
    This isn't ok, given you are on a 0.6 contract.
    If INSET is on a day you only work mornings, then you only attend the morning session.
    If staff meeting is on a day you only work mornings, you don't attend.
    Hand over displays to some of the other staff...or to a few willing pupils. They often love to spend breaktimes indoors and sorting out a display keeps them busy and helps you out.
    Not sure it is, given you work every morning and an afternoon...a second afternoon for PPA actually gives you two full days and three mornings which is way more than 0.6.
    [/QUOTE]
    I don't think you need to 'flee', but you do need to discuss with your head how you can make this work. At the moment it isn't acceptable at all.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You cannot assume the "pointage" based on mornings only unless you know the time of the lunchbreak. Some schools have proportionately more of their contact time in the afternoon than others.
    I've worked in schools where 80% of lessons were counted as "morning", ie five lesson day with lunchbreak not until after lesson 4, but there are other schools where it might only be as little as 50%

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Depends on the school day so follow the advice of @frustum

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

The only issue you have is what people have said about whether mornings and one afternoon actually make 0.6. Without knowing the school day though it’s pointkess speculating.

Otherwise school have a good deal, yeah. Don’t know whether it’s a deal I would have jumped at myself, but it’s not intrinsically wrong,no.