1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Advice: Exam marking with tier 2 visa?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kelwilcox, Mar 3, 2017.

1. kelwilcox

kelwilcox New commenter

Hello TES - I apologise if I'm in the wrong forum, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience and can confirm for me! (I've been trying to google endlessly, but to no avail)

I'm American, I've been working here for 4 years and I've read the guidance for my visa: I can legally do supplementary work up to 20 hours a week within the same level of the same profession.

However, I have run across some confusing advice about not being able to be 'self-employed'. Technically I've signed a contract with AQA for marking exams so I have an employer, but to my understanding they are taxed as self employed?

Can anyone confirm if they've either: been able to legally earn supplementary income on a tier 2 visa previously, OR if the exams are taxed through PAYE?

If it's through PAYE I should have no problem... I think...

Make me a bit nervous as I want to be very careful about my status!

I appreciate any help!

2. MissTrottier

MissTrottier New commenter

Hello,

Did you ever get a answer to this? I am in the same position and wondering, if I can do this on my visa.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Taxed at basic rate through PAYE

border_walker and MissTrottier like this.
  4. MissTrottier

MissTrottier New commenter

So it is allowed on a Tier 2 visa as a teacher?

5. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Taxed through PAYE but you don't pay National Insurance Contributions.

border_walker likes this.