1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for accurate reading rate tests

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jlishman2158, Feb 19, 2012.

1. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

I posted this on the English forum but no replies so far. Maybe another SENCo can tell me what they use!

I'm looking for a test which will give an accurate reading rate scores for Y5 and 6 pupils. I have several pupils who score poorly on reading abitiy and comprehension but have 120+ on the Standardised scores for reading rate.
    I use Neale in school but is there something more accurate?
    Is YARC different to Neale?
    Thanks

2. Make your own and get a baseline - this will inform YOU and assess for progress. Choose a text from a chapter book that is easy for the student to read - prep them for unexpected words and them time them as they read aloud for one minute. Make a graph to show progress. Keep using the same book and prepping. Devise a short comprehension quiz for each reading andTest at least monthly.
    When you do a spell check in Word, there is a Fliesch-Kincade? app that you can use to get a general idea of the level of reading.

3. Errr, for the comprehension part you will have to listen to the child read for several minutes (untimed) helping with strange words before giving the informal test. Until you can ask about ten questions - graph this also. Another good thing to do is to test his/her long and short term memory at the same time.

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

We use the YARC

5. aowensey

aowensey New commenter

Me too.

6. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

Why did you decide to use YARC?
    Is it very different to Neale?
    Thanks