1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a suitable pan

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by markuss, Sep 16, 2016.

1. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Hope someone can help me out as I've been searching but not finding just what I want.

What I require is a saute pan, not too big, that can go from hob to oven for a frittata and other things.

I found a Viner , which won't do as 30 cm is too big for the hob. 24 cm would be fine and I found a Circulon that size but with a long handle, not detachable. Another one might have done but its lid wasn't oven proof and I might need the lid on for some dishes.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

3. markuss

Ah. Thanks, mangle.
    I'll see what they do.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

5. markuss

Ah. Hadn't heard of the first one (had tried the secoond). Shall look it up and go back to eBay and Amazon if that fails.
    Thanks.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

IKEA also sell reasonable quality ones that fit that description. Cast iron handle, non-removable but fine for the oven. Cheap but solid.

7. markuss

Thanks for that as well.

I've also discovered something on the internet that I don't think I've ever seen. They call it an omelette pan and it's actually two pans that lock together. So when you've cooked one side, instead of turning the omelette over, you turn the pan over. Anyone got one of those?

I'll definitely check out IKEA next.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's not the most elegant solution, but a hacksaw and file could shorten a too-long metal handle if everything else is ok.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'd not bother with one of those. Not tricky folding an omelette. I reckon you'd use it once then consign it to the back of the cupboard.

10. markuss

Thanks, both. Now shopping for abovementioned tools!

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Surely omelettes aren't meant to be turned over?

12. markuss

That's true - but maybe it's a reference to the Spanish omelette style.

(Fancy you waking up at 4.44 a.m. thinking of my omelettes!)

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Tortillas con patatas are easy to turn, slip onto a plate then turn back into the pan, or finish under the grill.

14. markuss

Right you are.
    I know it doesn't make a lot of sense - but I never use a grill. (Not since I had an accident with one, years ago!)