1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a sharpening (honing) steel

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gooddays, Jan 22, 2016.

1. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

My brother-in-law bought a new one Saturday. It's by Jamie Oliver and costs the equivalent of 17 GBP. The Victorinox brand is twice that amount. Any recommendations? My knives are dangerously dull.

2. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

I used to use a steel but found that I had to use a sharpening stone quite often to keep the edge as the steel on its own wasn't quite enough for prolonged use. This was quite time consuming and a bit faffy.

I now use a hand held sharpening (ceramic) wheel which I find really quick and easy to use - just a few goes before I use the knife and the blade stays really sharp. The one I use is on amazon for £22 which is pretty fair value (had it about 3 years and it still does a good job - although will probably have to change the wheel in a while):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-Welch-Signature-Handheld-Sharpener/dp/B003E5V22S

I used to be a very firm fan of a steel as the 'proper' way to sharpen a knife, but I defintely changed my mind!

gooddays likes this.