1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new school- is it impossible to get a new job post-NQT?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SENDgf, May 24, 2020.

1. SENDgf

SENDgf New commenter

Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice. I have decided that I would like to look for another teaching post, remaining in my current field of special education. I am only on M2 as it stands, but I worry about my chances of securing a new position against slightly cheaper NQTs! Does anybody have any experience to support/negate this?

Equally, how do people think the peaks in recruitment will differ as a result of Covid 19? Is there likely to be a surge in jobs coming out in the Autumn term that require a January start, as many schools have chosen not to recruit at present?!

Thanks in advance,

GF x

2. bmouthboyo

bmouthboyo New commenter

You will always find that your cost compared to availability of NQT's is a factor in teaching recruitment. The only thing you can do is shine in interview by making your experience and personality count for more. It also depends on your subject, as for instance if you are a PE teacher there are so many that you are 1 in a very very large pool of applicants, compared to for instance a Maths or Computing teacher.

Recruitment wise is anyone's guess. Who knows what the teaching landscape will look like come Sept - Dec if the country continues to damage every aspect of our infrastructure and economy with virus related legislation. I think many teachers will be staying put in their current schools to weather this storm so unfortunately openings may be few and far for a while, expect for the less appealing positions.

3. SENDgf

SENDgf New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that, by moving at M2, I'm not yet considered expensive! Equally, I'm only interested in SLD special schools which I don't imagine attracts an overly large pool of applicants?

4. musobob

musobob New commenter

From years of experience, it certainly feels like it! What a joke of a "profession".