1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a book - please help. Linked to 'KS1 sats - Magic Pebble.'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Feb 2, 2008.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a book which will fire up my class' imagination. I want a book where the characters are transported to another land. Can anyone think of one? I have 6 year 2s but they are very bright and am therefore looking for more than a picture book.

Any ideas?

2. takethatno1fan

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a book which will fire up my class' imagination. I want a book where the characters are transported to another land. Can anyone think of one? I have 6 year 2s but they are very bright and am therefore looking for more than a picture book.

Any ideas?

3. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

have you tried making up your own story and doing it as a powerpoint for the children?
    x

4. There was an animated book on Hamilton Trust about a magic shell or something that took a boy on a magic adventure. This was aimed at Yr2 I think. I'll see if I can find the name!

5. Tom and the Sea Caves.

6. takethatno1fan

Thanks jackie3, I'll have a look. Any idea of the link?

7. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

I think I'll look for that story too, as last year my year 2s really made a mess of the pebble story!
    x

8. used magic key with y2 beforehand, there was a big book in school that I had which transported the kids to outerspace - think it was a stone.., I will have a think it was really useful but cant remember the name at min...

9. takethatno1fan

I wanted something a bit different from The Magic Key books if possible. But thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else?

10. What about the magic faraway tree? or the magic wishing chair?

11. takethatno1fan

Oooooh great idea!!!! I used to love the Magic Faraway Tree! Wasn't using Enid Blyton a no-no in the classroom? Just a thought!?

12. why? magic faraway tree books are great! language is a bit'far back' but the chn love listening to them.

13. takethatno1fan

I don't know why I think that, but they aren't very widely used are they? I agree about the books, I used to love them as a child.

14. 'Whatever Next' (Jill Murphy) is a nice text to use (although young) it enables children to let their imagination go.

Sorry about previous post - not sure all of it made sense! At my last school there was a big book which was ideal for this sats paper but cant remember the title - will try and dig out from old planning tomorrow

15. Hi I am an NQT and I am just thinking about preparation for KS1 SATS.
    Just really wondering how close to children sitting paper are you going to read books like this to them? I know you have to stop any story work up to about 1week before the exam.

Thanks

16. Nah, Enid Blyton is swinging back into fashion again, so it's okay, and works well for the tasks. Children adore them aswell.
    Would recommend buying updated sanitised versions though, all names are changed for you (Fanny - Frannie, Dick - Rick and Bessie - Beth - ?????).

I read my childhood copy of The Wishing Chair to a class of Year 2s (who loved it) but had to have a conversation about the King of the Golliwogs when I read that bit to them without concentrating - def would have changed it to teddy bears if I'd been more on the ball, it isn't a subject easily discussed with 7 year olds!

17. takethatno1fan

Thanks everybody - I'm just going to order a copy of The Wishing Chair.

I am going to make sure that books of this genre are finished at leat a week before test.

18. I found a book in our book box called "Doodling Daniel" where the boy had a magic pencil which helped him to draw his way into the next page's part of the story.

Some of our older scheme readers have magic carpets and things (there was one where it was raining and they were bored, but I haven't got it at home with me, so can't remember the title, sorry) - oxford reading tree has the magic key books.

Rigby Star reading scheme (if you use it) has a book called the Magic Jigsaw or something like that, where the last piece of the puzzle transports them into the picture...

Aladdin and the Magic Lamp, Bedknobs & Broomsticks etc. all work on the something from a magic object idea.

The Literacy Matters website has a nice powerpoint or smartboard presentation you can use for the initial input for the task itself.

https://store.literacymatters.com/store/show_product/85

They only seem to have a multi-user version with site licence available this year - I'm sure I bought a single user one... but I found it very helpful last year.

C x

19. The magic bed by John Burningham is just what you need.
    Fantastic story about a boy who buys a second hand bed and then goes on dreaming adventures.

John Burningham is a great author and the illustrations are a must - couldn't recommend it more highly.