1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at moving to Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by eveningbreakfast, Apr 2, 2020.

1. eveningbreakfast

eveningbreakfast New commenter

Hi there, I am 24 with 6 years experience working as an early childhood teacher. I have a BTchng in Early Childhood Education and have my full teacher's registration here in New Zealand.

In the future I'm looking at applying for a job at a particular international school (NZ's neighbour) and was wondering if my qualifications are enough to land a position there? I don't have any dependants, I am moving to be with my Singaporean boyfriend.

In the event that I do get a job in SG, what is a reasonable salary to ask for with my current skillset?

Being a mixed-race person, I do often wonder what my experience will be like working in a predominantly Caucasian school. I am very Westernised but have heard about disparities in the way other races are treated at some international schools. Will this be an issue?

All input and experiences are welcome. Thank you!

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Do your CV.
    Apply for a job.
    Get the interview.
    Get the job.
    Then ask for the potential of $ salary.

Race issues and inequities are in all corners of the world. Just live your life. Singapore is an amazing expat destination.

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Singapore is ludicrously competitive. Probably the number one most desirable location for teachers. And their handling of the COVID crisis will make them even more desirable in the coming years. Make sure you put a LOT of work in to applications

4. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

Most international schools in Asia will not be 'caucasian' as you put it. They will have at least 50%, probably more, of rich local kids. They are 'International' so should be open minded. Your ethnicity will not matter but your experience will. I'm not sure how you have 6 years experience at 24? Only experience after you have graduated will be counted. Good luck. You could consider a TEFL and teaching English as a back up?

5. claude2014

claude2014 New commenter

Most of the big international schools in Singapore have a salary scale with a maximum starting point. You would be placed on this based on your experience. Benefits vary slightly in terms of housing, health etc. In Singapore local students can't attend an international school without Govt permission and so they don't represent a large portion of the student population. Many schools have a very international teaching population. Singapore is a great place to work and live. If you don't get a job the first time keep trying.