1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at Continuous Provision

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jah95, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Jah95

Jah95 New commenter

Hello colleagues,

Next year I am moving into Year 2 and am very interested in continuous provision. I have spoken to (who will be) the Year 1 teacher and she is very motivated to do this in a cross year way especially in the afternoons for topic.

Is anyone aware of any schools (in the South West) which use CP effectively.

Thanks in advance!

2. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

I've been watching your post and have noted that nobody has responded. So I think you can take from this that, no, CP doesn't effectively work in Year 2. I'm in Year 1 and it doesn't work there either. Forget it. It all sounds very lovely to have independent work going on in the afternoons BUT the reality of my afternoons is that they are taken up with phonics, reading, PE, music, intervention groups for those who didn't "get" the maths or finish their English. It's a pain to manage and resource and plan and, frankly, without an extra adult or direct access to the outdoors, normally disolves into noise and chaos. The curriculum is too full and you will soon revert to whole class teaching.

It's brilliant for reception though.

I do hope I've kicked a hornet's nest here...

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

OK, yes you have!

I think continuous provision would work higher up the school but I think it has to be approached differently. Think about the learning and plan challenges that are low-ceiling- high threshold. Think about learning activities that can be accessed independently which would reinforce basic skills and some that give challenge. 'Stile tiles' are good.