1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking Around A School - Headship

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Rebecca1309, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Rebecca1309

Rebecca1309 New commenter

Hi,

I am thinking about looking around some schools for headship applications. I am currently a Head of School, and would like to move to Headteacher. I've researched all the school information on the website. Are there key questions that you would want to ask when looking around? Or key things they'll be wanting me to ask? My mind has drawn a blank with this!

Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very simple.

a) No

b) No

Nobody likes someone who invents questions to look good or otherwise impress, If you see something that warrants a Q, an important Q, not just something about e.g. how they organise the pupils filing in to lunch, then ask it, If not, don't.

A candidate who clearly is looking carefully, interiorising, quietly considering, but doesn't ask superficial questions just for the sake of it, is very much preferable. This is specially true if there are several of you there together, with one (or, horrors!, more than one, trying to stand out from the others), In my book Applying for a Teaching Job, I remind you all that a visit is, in fact, a pre-interview. You should dress as for the interview, look and act professional and polite, and if appropriate, if asked if there are any questions, reply, if true, No thank you, I have all the information that I need from the paperwork that you sent. The one exception might be something about the way that they manage the budget.

It is certainly NOT a good idea to ask anything along the lines of Can you outline how you have improved the areas identified as problems in your recent Ofsted report?

Best wishes

3. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I agree - treat it like a pre-interview.
    But for both parties.
    Who shows you round? That can tell you a lot. Do they even offer to take your coat?!
    What's the feel of the place? Use it as a chance to pick up the stuff you can't pick up from paperwork... and whether or not you think you can make a difference there.

TheoGriff likes this.