1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

looking after money on residential trip

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, May 21, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

hi all. we're off on our yr5/6 residential trip after half term,and ive been given the task of looking after the childrens money. just after advice on the best way to do this, where to keep it etc. The children are split into 3 groups, so was thinking of keeping it seperated in that way, and handing it over to group leaders when needed etc but its how to keep it safe and secure. should i keep it on me at all times etc
    thanks in advance

2. Where are you staying? Can you lock it securely in your room? Is there a 'safe' or similar at the hotel/centre?Will there be set times when you'll need it or will you need it on you 'just in case'? Those are the sort of things I'd be thinking of. If there are 3 group leaders why can't they keep the money for their group??

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

we've been told that rooms arent secure, unless we're given a key for the adult rooms, in which case, yes i can leave it in the room
    the only times that im aware that we'll need it is on one day when we're all going to the beach and will get ice creams etc. other than that it'll be in the evenings for tuck shop etc

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

We go to a PGL camp every year - no beaches etc. involved for us. Before we leave, we collect in the children's purses and wallets, noting how much they each have. Then use this as a running record during the trip.

We only need money for evening tuck shop visits and one big gift shop visit at the end of the week - the rest of the time it is all locked in a staff member's room. Each time we go to the tuck shop, the children go to the staff member to get their wallets, spend a max of £1.50, return their wallet to staff member telling them how much is spent and it is noted on the running record. Sounds a bit long-winded, but at least all money is tracked and recorded. In the 6 trips I've led, there's never been a money problem or disagreement (wish some other aspects went as smoothly!)

On the last day, we visit the big gift shop in the evening, the children collect their wallets, spend however much they want from what is left of their money, then pack away wallets/purses in their suitcases ready to leave in the morning. That way I don't have to worry about distributing them when we get back. By this point, it doesn't matter if there is any money left in the wallet - all children (even from other school parties) are out of their rooms at the final night disco so there's no one else around except me and other staff, and we leave in the morning.

5. We only let the children spend their money in the tuck shop we take with us so we write down how much they have before they leave school and they just 'spend' money off their total in the ledger

6. It is accepted in our school that on any trip the children are responsible for their own money. We talk about how to keep it safe before we go, of course.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We do the same, certainly in yrs 5/6 we expect the children to be responsible for their own money during the day. If they want to keep it in the safe on the residential premises, they of course can do.