1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

look cover write check

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

From memory they were set out in columns: word spellings in column 1, then one each, for write & check for however many days they have to do the words.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

There's a template here you can use:
    http://www.fresherschools.com/resources/index.php?tag=look+cover+write+check
    I usually get the children to draw columns in their homework books and give them a printed list of the spelling words with the rule for that list. At least then they definitely have the correct spellings to start.
    At one time I had a template of my own (which I think has gone to the grave of all useful resources that get lost when you upgrade computers). I used to type in the words for the week and print them off. Only trouble is that it is a lot of photocopying - a sheet for every child, every week. (You might not think that excessive). Just giving them the list means I can get 9 on an A4 page.
    I also add the word 'say' - look, say, cover, write, check. I have a poster that I have on display with the week's spelling lists - might upload that onto resources as it is just a little reminder and others may care to use it.
    You do need to check that the children are doing the routine correctly - watch out for those who forget and quickly rush off 4 or 5 lists on spelling test morning! It is usually very easy to spot.