1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Look at me posing with dead whales on the beach!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Jan 24, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I am not going to link to it. The photos are sickening.

The selfie-generation at its worst. Some dad plonking his little lad in the shot. "Smile, son! It's dead whales!"

Am I just being a miserable old fogey again?

ValentinoRossi and nomad like this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Yes.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It certainly captures the zeitgeist of 2016: "Je prends des selfies donc je suis".

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I see they beached at Skegness, so they probably lost the will to live - I know I always did when my parents dragged me there.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

No, I saw the same photo and thought it was in bad taste.

I have been privileged to see these beautiful creatures swimming off the northern coast of Norway, where the continental shelf slips away into great depths. Sad to see them reduced to such indignity.

IMG_3546.jpg

Dragonlady30 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Haven't seen the photo in question.... just the report on the BBC website.

So not feeling terribly outraged here. Just kind of sad for the creatures.

les25paul, sabrinakat and cuteinpuce like this.
  8. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

I will not look. But I know without looking the man is a thoughtless creep of the first order.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Saw it on the DM's site and there was much swearing coming out from behind my laptop.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

Yes @catmother

That's where I saw it. For once the comments showed exemplary sense and universally deplored the reprobate who thought it a lark to get his kid to pose for pictures.

You put them on facebook or wherever and your 'friends' show their admiration? Ugh.

11. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Yes, I saw that picture and thought exactly the same thing. Why would anyone think to take a smiling selfie at such a harrowing scene? As some kind of ghoulish trophy, I suspect.

I doubt the selfie takers even stop to consider that they have actually become those ghouls.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What do you imagine will happen to the whale meat now? Will it end up in cat food, or will it be flogged to the Japanese so they don't need to catch so many healthy whales for their research?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Was that necessary?

14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

15. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

In David Attenborough's nature programmes, should the dead bodies of animals not be shown - given that it's done for the purposes of entertainment and those who watch might be considered ghoulish?

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

upload_2016-1-25_15-51-16.png

A) That is a Mercedes sign, not the CND sign, and
    B) That is not how to spell Fukushima.

What do beached whales have to do with nuclear issues?

17. grumpydogwoman

Er, CND. CND leads to Greenpeace? Similar sort of activist?

No idea.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Had I lived nearby, I would have gone to see them and taken photos. I don't do selfies, though.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

As long as they don't use this method for disposal

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

[​IMG]

I wouldn't agree its a modern "selfie" trend to have photos taken along side beached whales its always gone on its just that now everyone has digital cameras and access to the internet.

And to be honest I don't see anything wrong with it (but expect I'll be the only one). There's no denying its a tragic event but even when dead these creatures are spectacular and awe inspiring. The beaching itself is a dramatic but natural event. It should come as no surprise people want to see it, photograph it and be part of it. Also there's no better way to get a good scale of the size of the animal then having a human sized figure next to it.

If the person in the picture had been responsible for the death of the whale I would not be impressed and I am unhappy with logos etc being carved into the bodies as in one photo on this thread but have no objections to people wanting to witness and record the natural world as it happens around them.

cuteinpuce and Dunteachin like this.