1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lonley teacher

Discussion in 'Personal' started by AMCY6, Aug 23, 2019.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

My widowed neighbour, in her late 50’s, met her new partner doing park runs. They operate all over and are for anyone who wants to go. Saturday mornings at 9 am. There are also walking groups and many other activities where you can meet other people. Get out and enjoy your self.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I felt the same as you when I was in your situation and it was awful. I always felt like I had wasted the holidays and also struggled with weekends as I didn't feel I could encroach on my friends who had partners / families. In the end I joined a gym and I went every morning. I joined the classes and began to find people to talk to. Once I'd been out of the house in the morning it didn't feel so bad if I spent the rest of the day at home because I felt like I had done something.

Lara mfl 05 and Shedman like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You are never alone in the company of a great book - unhelpful perhaps but very true ( and massively comforting in my experience)

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

All excellent advice on here mainly focussed on getting out and doing something with others with whom you could make new friends. Nobody's going to knock on your door and ask you to be their friend, if you need companionship you're going to have to get out there and find it for yourself. As with most friendships, people move on and so you must do the same. If you are going to rely on your established friends then you are destined to spend similar long periods on your own. What are you interests? Google local groups or clubs and get yourself down there. Even getting out of the house, going for a walk in the park and having a coffee can lead to social interaction and friendship.

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I’m NW and could be free for coffee. Pm me.

Mermaid7, Lara mfl 05 and emerald52 like this.
  6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Beyond ones mid 20s if you haven’t got a partner and/or kids even those with a broad friendship base will find the frequency of meeting up plummet for various reasons and thus a bit of loneliness is almost inevitable. Plus as a teacher the transition from very little free time to 6 weeks.....I would suggest.....

1. Meet-up.com (for new friends through shared interests.)
    2. Plan at least a 1 week holiday.
    3. Plan days out
    4. Take on a decorating/gardening project.
    5. Volunteer for any residential school trips in Summer ( many teachers would not wish to do this or couldn’t) its intense but very rewarding.
    6. Find a new hobby
    7. Find a couple of good books
    8. Discover new parts of your area.

Do all 8 and you won’t have much time to feel lonely, believe me!

Shedman, Lara mfl 05 and lanokia like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've only really had one period in my life when I was lonely

It lasted from 1995 to 2014

(only kidding)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.