1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Longest Serving Member of Staff?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by thejudgesscoresarein, Jul 14, 2019.

1. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I have a member of staff at my school who is celebrating 55 years of service with the school in September. They joined the school as a newly qualified teacher in 1964, and progressed through the ranks during their career. Still in immaculate health and about to turn 75, they have no plans to retire yet. They work three days a week covering classes as a PPA Teacher. Have you got a colleague or member of staff who has served a long period?

1970devon and emerald52 like this.
  2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The longest serving staff member in my school has been there 5 years! but I've taught in other schools where teachers have been there since the 1970s, and one cleaner had been there more than 60 years

3. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

That’s truly incredible and an amazing achievement. Guess they’re not worried about their pension!

4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Fantastic, but just check with them...did they get told they could take their pension at 55 and misunderstand? ;)

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Until my last school became an academy, the longest serving member of staff was one of the DHs, who had been at the school for thirty four years. Like many long-serving, more senior staff, once the academy took over, he just 'disappeared' one day.

When i was at school, our senior Latin master retired from his semi-retirement after over fifty years.

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

That's amazing. I was at one school for 20 years-I thought that was a long stint!

7. Gainingcontrol

Gainingcontrol New commenter

Jolly_Roger15 I'm sure the Latin curriculum didn't change much over his 50 years of teaching. :)

8. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

We employed a Physics technician who was over 60 years old. He retired when he was 72. Private school, so we could employ who we wanted. The technician was a chartered electrical engineer who managed over 100 other engineers. We had another Science technician who joined the school as a pupil at 11 year old. He retired this year at 65.

9. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

They all deserve ruddy medals...great big shiny ones!