1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Longest night of my life

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bacardibreezer, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

My husband picked up my 17 year old son from a party at midnight.
    The father of the host had to help get my son into the car as he couldn't walk. They said that he hadn't had much to drink and one of his best mates who doesn't drink and was with him all evening confirms this (although really he shouldn't have been drinking at all!)
    Apparently - and quite suddenly - he became really hyper saying things like he could fly. He was jumping about and being over friendly then complained that he couldn't see. Then he was sprawled out and incoherent.

He kept saying that he was given something. My husband has taken
    Him to the hospital and I have been contacting people who were at the party but they all insist that there were no drugs.

Latest news from hospital is that they think it's amphetamines or something similar. Now the battery has gone on my husbands phone do I'm sitting here wondering if my son is ok.
    I would go straight there but had major abdominal surgery 2 weeks ago and cannot drive my car.

Has anything like this happened to anyone on here? I think I just needed to vent - I am so worried all sorts of scenarios are going through my mind.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Oh I'm sorry, you must be so worried.
    Sorry I can't offer any practical help or advice but at least your son is in the right place now. Try not to panic, if your husband needs to get hold of you he will find a phone.
    Hope your son makes a full recovery (and learns a valuable lesson).

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I had a very similar experience with my daughter when she was 17. The difference was she was going through a phase where she hated me and was sofa surfing so I never knew where she was. One Friday night at about 10.30 we heard a car draw up outside; the door opened and shut and it sped off again. My daughter was in a terrible state saying that she was hot and then cold; her head was numb and then her legs and then her teeth and so on. It was terrifying. She was adament that she hadn't taken anything but later admitted to smoking weed. We called NHS direct as she refused to go to hospital and they advised calling an ambulance which we did. The paramedics were amazing and told us that she was already coming down and that they would stay until she was her normal self. We tried to persuade them that this wasn't necessary but they stayed for about an hour anyway.

Just a word of warning. My daughter has had panic attacks ever since and is terrified of being alone after dark. She doesn't like it much in daytime either but can cope. She had to sleep with the light on for about four years.

She says it is the one regret of her life and has not touched drugs or alcohol since. She has a beautiful baby now; is happily engaged and lives with her fiancé. Another baby is due in February. She is ultra careful about drinking anything when she is out and will never leave a drink unattended. I don't know if this is any help or consolation to you and your husband. I truly hope your son is OK. Please let us know.

Using my iPhone and safari so I suspect there are no paragraphs. Sorry

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

bb, do let us know that your son is all right. You must have had such a dreadful night of anxiety. You poor woman. Thinking of you.

5. Something similar happened to one of our 6th form lads. He was coherent and chatty one minute and vomiting and collapsed the next. He was taken to A&E where the doctors suspected amphetamines or valium. He was kept in over night for observation and allowed to sleep it off.
    He was back in school two days later, he said he was fine but was having occasional palpatations. Within a week he was back to normal.
    Hope your son is all right and makes a full recovery. Teenagers are a worry, aren't they.

6. I hope things are OK this morning, bb.
    In the cold light of day I suspect you will be re-contacting parents, hosts etc to re-confirm that there were indeed drugs present so they can keep an eye on their own!
    At the very least each parent should be having a 'concerned chat' with their progeny. If only to confirm that parents are all seeing, all knowing deities (if only for a little while longer).

Hopefully your son will remain feeling iffy for a little while longer - with no lasting ill effects. That way he may think 30 times before trying anything like that again - e.g. leaving a drink unattended, glomming someone elses drink, or partaking a little something something in the spirit of adventure!
    I also hope that you and Mr bb can have a giggle at your sons expense - remembering all the dumb things you both did at his age, the embarrassing situations you got yourselves into and survived.

((you and yours))

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

oh poor you. I sympathise-my son has been in a similar situation-not drugs , but alcohol. Your son is in the best place and your husband is wiht him. They will ring you using a hospital phone if necessary. I know you are worried but dont put your own recovery at risk to go up there.Teenagers seem to see htis as rite of passage these days and it is awful for the parents. Good luck and let us know how he gets on.xx

8. Thinking of you and hoping everything is now ok and you are all tucked up in bed!

9. Poor you what an ordeal. Hope everything turns out ok.

10. Me too...hope son will be OK.
    As others have said, it seems to be the way with teenagers now...they cannot have a good night out unless they get smashed or out of their heads...Fortunately many know the dangers of drugs but there are usually idiots out and about, popping pills etc...
    It is worrying for parents...My two boys are in their 20s and don't party like they used to, (thankfully!) but still big nights out and 'birthdays' of friends seem to involve lots of drinking, very late nights and me fretting at home...I always pray they'll come home safely...and when they do I am forever checking on them...
    I do hope you've had some news by now BB. Not knowing what's going on is awful. Husband is with him...and nurses are watching him, so try to relax...knowing he is in the best place. Thank goodness he didn't just crash out somewhere, alone.

11. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

It sounds like a good grounding and keeping son away from parties for a while is in order.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

If he is in need of a lesson why not lay out half a dozen double vodkas? Get him to work through them and test his reactions and attitudes, maybe make a short vid of him staggering, talking and slurring his words?

Do parents ever do this?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I do hope bacardibreezer is all right. And her son, of course. I wish she would come back and let us know.

14. Yes, she hasn't drunk since!

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    I don't suppose it would be that effective with most people but even if it only teaches them their limits then it is probably worthwhile. If you are one of those that seek oblivion I think it might help you avoid leaving yourself too vulnerable. You can only hope. I know it would have helped me when I was a teenager.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Me too.
    I've been there too.

17. skt107

skt107 New commenter

I really hope your son is ok? I remember when I was 17 I went through a phase of wanting to drink. One , as much as she hated it, I remember my mum letting me get extremely drunk because I wouldn't listen to her. I spent all night with my head in a bucket and definitely learnt my lesson.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, although things may seem tough now, your son will have learnt a lot from this experience I'm sure!

18. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My friend let her 15 year old son have a party sleepover at their house with 10 friends. My friend and hubby were upstairs watching tv whilst the party and sleepover was in the livingroom. At 11:00 one of the lads came upstairs to say that someone had collapsed and they couldnt wake him. They had raided their drinks cupboard. All parents were called to collect their kids, who had all had booze and an ambulance called for the boy with alcoholic poisoning. My friend was livid with the kids and herself for being so trusting. They were all normally sensible intelligent and very sporty boys from nice well brought up homes. It can happen to anyone.

19. It is so difficult to persuade teenagers that alcohol is not central to their fun
    Last year, another mum and I organised a 16th birthday party for our sons; the kids had all recently been to a very alcoholic sleepover that had been disastrous for some of them - their behaviour had got completely out of hand, and a couple were too embarrassed to be in school for several days. The organising mum found vomit in drawers, down cracks in floorboards etc
    So.............We had a bouncy castle, several footballs and other outdoor activities; then a sound system in a small barn, and got them racing around early on
    We fed them a massive barbecue, and I had all the drinks in the kitchen, distributing one each every 45 minutes or so - no spirits
    We created an ice cream factory, which they loved, and they ended up having a geat night
    BUT it was hard work, and I am well aware that they will drink what thety like - I just didn't want to be responsible for other people's kids

20. Still no news?
    Would like to know, hope all is well