1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

longest commute?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by 700W, May 12, 2011.

1. I'm going to be a 45 min car ride from my first post.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You could commute Thur and Fri and stay over Mon Tue Wed when the traffic is worse? I know lecturers who do this and rent a room.
    Although I think the second year would be an easier time to commute than on NQT. I used to do a similar commute but this was in industry. I managed a year quite happily until petrol started rising... have you considered the cost? x

3. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

I drive an hour each way every day - I actually don't mind the drive too much as it's a lovely route. The cost of the petrol's ridiculous though and something you really do have to think about. I put £60 in a week, which adds up to a hefty chunk of your salary!
    If it's your dream school (mine is) I'd say go for it anyway, but it really does need to be worth it. I leave the house before 7 in the morning and normally don't get home until 7 at night. It's really hard to motivate yourself to work after a long drive so I try to get most of it done at school.

4. Thank you all for your comments, I know that it will be really hard and that i will be tired but my parents are letting me move home rent free so price of petrol each month will actually be cheaper than the rent i pay now.. the school is not where i want to be long term but there are a lack of jobs so its a grin and bear it situation and i really do think going home every pm to my family will make me so much happier and less resentful..
    Ive made the decision to do the commute and to book hotel rooms in advance for all parents evening etc, (still cheaper than rent).. i will do it for this coming year and maybe next year the job market will have picked up.
    At least i now know that there are people out there doing an hour or so commute and are surviving!
    Thanks guys

5. i communate an hour every morning....you get used to the journey...especially as mine has 'different roads' (aka a dual carriageway, country rather than just the motorway for an hour)
    :) hope this helps!

6. Angelil

Angelil New commenter

I do an hour and 15 mins each way at the moment.
    It is OK at first and sometimes it can help you wind down/give you the chance to have a nap after work but it is a pain in the morning to have to get up so early (I leave normally between 7.10 and 7.20 to get there for 8.45, leaving me leeway for any problems with the trains and to give me time to get a few bits and bobs done/breathing space when I do arrive). It's also a pain on strike days and even apart from that public transport is not always reliable. The expense is not an issue for me as I teach in a

7. Angelil

Angelil New commenter

It is OK at first and sometimes it can help you wind down/give you the chance to have a nap after work but it is a pain in the morning to have to get up so early (I leave normally between 7.10 and 7.20 to get there for 8.45, leaving me leeway for any problems with the trains and to give me time to get a few bits and bobs done/breathing space when I do arrive). It's also a pain on strike days and even apart from that public transport is not always reliable. The expense is not an issue for me as I teach in a country w

8. Angelil

Angelil New commenter

It is OK at first and sometimes it can help you wind down/give you the chance to have a nap after work but it is a pain in the morning to have to get up so early (I leave normally between 7.10 and 7.20 to get there for 8.45, leaving me leeway for any problems with the trains and to give me time to get a few bits and bobs done/breathing space when I do arrive). It's also a pain on strike days and even apart from that public transport is not always reliable. The expense is not an issue for me as I teach in a country where

9. Angelil

Angelil New commenter

Gah stupid spammy TES. Sorry all. Public transport is not expensive where I live but it may be for you: trains for that kind of commute might cost you as much as £300 or £400 a month. In short, I don't see it as a long term solution.

10. I have 1 hr each way and the drive is not so bad, I do envy colleagues who live 10 minutes away from school sometimes but the drive can be quite pleasant at times, it gives me a chance to unwind and reflect on my day. The investment in a nice new car in September was a good one in hindsight!

11. I have made the decision to move back home to my parents and have my only outgoing as petrol... bless my parents wanting me to move home and be happy, They actually said that they could not put up with another year of crying phone calls and would rather me move back with them. Also, i did the commute for this past week, it was hard but i think i just need to get my body clock used to the early starts. Ive also investigated train times etc for those days of any snow/bad weather..
    Thanks for all the comments, i was just looking for people to say "yes its possible because i do it".

12. Hi,

Your post reminded me of me last year - I was considering taking a job with an hour's commute each way and just needed the reassurance that it was possible and others did it! Havign now done it, I can say it is possible and even bearable if you are determined to do it - which you seem to be so you will be fine. Having said that, I am moving jobs to a school less than 30 mins away from Sep and am looking forward to the shorter commute! But you can do it for another year no problem and then look for something else next year - knowing you don't have to do it forever helps!

13. Thanks your post has just made me really happy! I am in my dream school which takes about 1.15mins to get to. I live in Brighton and would miss my friends and the city if I left been a bit worried that I would not cope but after reading this I think it really depends on the individaul.
    Thanks

14. I had this problem whilst completing a remote placement. I am married and although I was used to my husband being away (he's in the army) and coping quite well on my own, I really did not enjoy living in a boarding house. I was very lonely at times as I was the only one there, and a woman to boot, I found myself yearning for my husband and home. I also missed the support from friends whom I could just pop round and see at any time. I found myself travelling at the weekend which took 3 and a half hours due to traffic to get home and then going back after lunch on Sundays. It was a horrible experience and really affected my emotional state. I was very surprised at how emotional I became and couldn't wait for the placement to end. Although the kids were well behaved at the school, and the teachers were very supportive, I found myself sitting in my room glued to my latptop the whole time wishing I was at home. It was also difficult for the practical things such as printing. I took a small printer with me. It was very lonely. I would neary alway shed a tear when leaving on Sunday to go back to my lonley digs.
    I really don't blame you if you don't want to travel so much in your NQT year but you can never underestimate the support from family and friends is vital. I also found myself sitting in the car thinking of how much work I could be doing instead of travelling. Maybe you could use this time to reflect on your lessons. At least you have something to think about on our journey.
    My advice is to either get a job closer to home or stay Tues - Thursday (less traffic than Friday).

15. I wish I had your commutes! I have a total journey of 1 hour 50 minutes.

I leave at 6am to get to school at 7:50am. Leave school at 5:30pm to get home at 7:20pm. It is exhausting!

The worst thing about it is that there is a little primary school right at the end of my road that I pass every day when I left the house 2 minutes earlier. Every morning, I think about the time I could wake up if I worked there!