1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Longer Term

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by StrangePanda, Nov 8, 2017.

1. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

Just curious: where have you decided to stay longer-term. Say, more than three years? What is it that keeps you in that particular country/school?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

usual i have traditionally only stayed for 3 years (10 months in that country that @miketribe doesnt like me mentioning). i am now into my 3rd year at my current school and have no thoughts of leaving. for me its always been the school, not the country. when i left my other schools i felt as if i had nothing left to offer, or the school wasnt going in the same direction as wanted to go. here i get none of those feelings.

i have found that i can live pretty much anywhere, its the place you spend most of your time (work) that makes a difference.

StrangePanda likes this.
  3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

We're in year five at our current school. We like the country very much and the school is fine. Doesn't set my heart on fire but it's a decent enough school and as long as you ignore the nonsense that starts with a B, life is good.

StrangePanda likes this.
  4. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Year 5 - the school is good.
    Having said that i'm moving on next year.
    New challenges and all that.

5. willow78

willow78 New commenter

I did 4 years in one school and then 1, I am looking to abroad again for next school year, but now will will have 2 children with me, one of whom is school age, so the next move for me I'd like it to be longer term, at least to get my son through primary school for 6 years, as don't want to keep moving the children to other schools, so not only does it need to be good to work at, but also a good education for my children. It makes the choices of which schools to apply for and accept a bit more difficult.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

How long is a piece of string?
    That said, if you enjoy both the country and the school, stay. That’s a powerful combo.

7. okmohito

okmohito New commenter

Now in my first year after doing ESL for a year and saving not very much but saving £2500 per month now. Just coming up to month 3.....:) Need to save as much as I can for various things so if DBs can get me in his little cushy place, then I might consider the move. ha ha joking aside, I have good reports from students and SMT and am well liked. Students are good at one subject and lazy at another. The job is cushy but the country sucks for various reasons such as quality of food,banks etc etc...still xmas is round the corner so I can relax for a couple of weeks.

8. 576

576 Occasional commenter

If you're saving £2500 a month why do you want to sue your godparents for not giving you money?

9. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

5 years in the first place I lived overseas - first time etc. and met my wife there. The next place was 10 years. I had various opportunities at the school so felt like I was constantly developing. We also liked the city in particular and the country and the region.

We left there for a change of location and to be closer to family. That next place was only 2 years but it was valuable experience. It kind of felt like anywhere would have been difficult to adjust to after a decade in one place.

That move helped us get where we are now and I can see us staying here for a while as the role I have now is exactly what I want at this stage in my career.

10. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

My first overseas job was in Iran. I stayed for five years until the Revolutionary Guards turned up with AK47s and ordered us to close. We moved to Spain in 1980 and have been here ever since...

11. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Mrs H and I are now in our 5th year in the Middle Kingdom, but I am going to retire at the end of June. Too old and too fat. The BS associated with CIS accreditation is also mindrottingly depressing.