1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Longer term impacts...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 8, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

... of the Covid pandemic...

I was just thinking of things that might change after this is all over ...

1. Houses with gardens will be in greater demand. Imagine being trapped in a one/two bed flat or renting a room during all this.

2. People will rein in their spending and save more, try to build up more of a safety buffer for themselves.

3. People won't be so eager to mock 'preppers', considering those folks were all ready for what happened and could just watch the social anxiety that swept over us the last month.

4. More people will develop hobbies to keep them occupied.

Obviously the divorce rate will go up and the birth rate will probably jump in 9 months or so...

What else?

agathamorse and primarycat like this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

How we educate children may well change.

3. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

2021 babies all gonna be firstborns :D:D

1 person likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

More teachers will realise how badly exploited they have been.

I am not in ANY way minimising what NHS workers are doing, but I know more than one teacher has reacted to hearing about the shock and outrage that NHS workers are doing 80 hours a week, or only having time to sleep 6 hours a night, by realising actually, that isn't normal, and it isn't ok.

5. WB

WB Senior commenter

I'd like to think some of those will come true and that we leave the situation poorer but wiser. However there are only 2 lessons people learn from history:

1. Don't invade Russia.
    2. People don't learn from history.

To be honest number 1 gets ignored so that leaves us with the fact that the only thing we learn history is that we don't learn from history.

Hopefully the next post will be more positive! Over to...

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

More people will work from home
    Video conferencing will rise
    There will be even more ageism and hostility to the elderly than there is now
    People will review their wills
    There will be a prolonged recession, the economy will tank and there will be even more resentment of benefit claimants.

Laphroig and sbkrobson like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've never complained much about my workload as a teacher and after this week I never will again.

My 23 Year old daughter will have worked 3 consecutive 12 hour night shifts by the time she gets to 7.30 am tomorrow morning.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Waterstones will prominently shelve a new section called "Pandemic Poetry-Local Writers", in a bid to make local people conveniently forget that Waterstones was one of the last shops to close.
    WH Smiths will front their stores with a dayglo blaze saying "Everything Must Go!" in a bid to make people forget that they too were one of the last shops to close.
    DFS will operate without a Closing Down Sale for the first time in it's history, as seventeen million households will want to replace their crumb-studded lock down a.rse patina'd sofas.
    Currys will be giving away laptops just to stay open, to a buying public who already bought 22 million laptops in the weekend before lock down.
    Many many more people will keep chickens out of sheer panic at the prospect of repeat egglessness, and blind fondness for them will grow to the same level as that for dogs. Cute chicken pictures on here will get ten or fifteen likes.
    Investment in local vineyards will soar.

In this, and all other likely prognoses, I follow the science.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    grahamfrost and agathamorse like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Zero hour contracts - self-employment will not be as attractive as salaried contract work.

I know this was true before Covid but even more so after.

Then again, after Covid just having a job might be a plus...

primarycat, monicabilongame and WB like this.
  10. WB

WB Senior commenter

I think most people on zero hours don't a choice ever.

The rich will be fine.
    The middle class will suffer.
    The workers will go through hell.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

All the self employed people who will probably lose their business are the people I feel sorry for.

Personally - I've never felt so grateful to both be a teacher and to have a regular income.

12. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I absolutely know where you’re coming from. It puts everything into perspective.

My daughter begins exactly the same shift pattern tonight in her ICU Covid ward.
    All I can do is keep her supplied (via Amazon, as she is hundreds of miles away) with heavy duty moisturiser/hand cream to soothe the damage caused by her PPE. And I worry constantly about her and her children, my granddaughters.

13. WB

WB Senior commenter

I feel this more than ever. Also in addition to a regular stable income a secure pension is another big plus.

People coming up to retiremwnt with a private pension may be about to suffer too.

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  14. WB

WB Senior commenter

I think many middle class people who just 3 months ago thought that benefits were too high might be about to change their minds.

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

A rather generalised and out dated view. Do you not think rich people and "middle class" people are workers?

agathamorse, WB and needabreak like this.
  16. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

We will all be poorer.

The debt acrued by government will be paid back by us all.

Promises made in the last election will have to be broken.

Real security relies ultimately on the State. If it's broke you should not feel secure even if you're a Teacher....

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

More people will work from home some of the time, but also more will realise the importance of working directly with and meeting people face to face.

Many people will retire earlier than they would have otherwise, realising that they can afford it and don't want to go back to work.

There will be a reduction in the number of people with non-jobs as they haven't been missed, likewise management positions.

The travel and hospitality industries will change in some very significant ways after many businesses go bust or struggle. I don't know what form these changes will take.

The care home sector will change, many of their charges will die and there will be much greater resistance from older people to move into them.

I don't think behaviour will change, though the longer it goes on, the more likely it might.

peakster likes this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

There will be lots of new rules permanently imho:

1 One car per household
    2 Children to be in local schools
    3 One person per trolley
    4 Shopping hours changed
    5 Exam system to change
    6 Lessons from home one day a week

19. WB

WB Senior commenter

Fair comment.
    But I think the general point is clear.

That large group at the lower end of the income scale are going to suffer the most.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I suspect that if anything changes then it will be things we haven't thought of. People with a nice life want to get back to what they had. Others don't have much choice.