1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Longer term holiday rentals in Europe

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Apr 20, 2019.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

We have just returned from our second, post-retirement holiday. Stayed in a villa with brother (also retired), daughter and son-in-law. Had a great time.

We would like to look at the option of spending a longer time eg one to two months, in cheaper periods, as we are now retired. We can't afford to do this based on the weekly rental (£500-1000). The villa we stayed i was over £2000 (however, 4 others were also supposed to come but had to drop out). We would want to rent for around £500 - 700 for each month. Studio apartment to 2 bed apartment.

Does anybody know any sites which give cheap/last minute long term rentals? Preferably Spain, Portugal or Greece, but would consider similar.

Thank you.

ploot71 likes this.
  2. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Depends. How good is your Spanish? You probably know that it is the norm for Spaniards,French people to take out a long term rent on the coast for the summer. Obviously , it is far cheaper in September /October. I am pretty sure that these websites would allow you to change the language to English. The main Spanish sites are www.idealista.com. www.fotocasa.es.
    Do a google search with 'alquileres (region) larga temporada' and you will find loads of sites offering apartments for monthly rates on several platforms. You will see that the rates are significantly less than on UK based sites.

Happygopolitely and ploot71 like this.
  3. paulstjohn2014

paulstjohn2014 Occasional commenter

I had a look at long term rentals in Cyprus. You can get some decent villas with private pool for about 1000euros a month as opposed to 1500 a week as short term holiday rental. However I think you have to rent for 6 months or a year. There again you could let friends and family visit to spread the cost. Just an idea.

Happygopolitely and ploot71 like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

We've rented villas for 2 months at a time in Spain and Malta in low season (mid Jan - mid March in Spain, October/November in Malta). Quoted online prices are usually lower to start with but assume a one or two week stay, as soon as you say you want 2 months you can start negotiating. I can't remember the websites but we did them through the 'deal direct with the owner not an agent' ones. But if you do that do read up on the advice available on many sites on how not to get scammed by fake owners before you part with money. Sadly there are many scams where fraudsters steal the property details from a genuine advertisement, put it on another site pretending they are the owner, take your money and disappear.

ploot71 likes this.