1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

long term things we do to kids as teachers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by alix1705, May 9, 2011.

1. One thing that struck me when reading this was how much of the pain and grief was caused by girls directed to other girls. Makes me sad about how we treat each other - I think this is still the case today.

2. Yeah, girls are rubbish. Let's throw smelly socks at them.

cyolba, purveyor of odorous foot coverings :)

3. When I was in primary school, we were given a talk by a policeman on road safety. (It was in Glasgow, when they first introduced the Green Cross Code) He described how he'd had to pick up the severed head of a child who'd been run over. I had nightmares about this for YEARS!

4. One of the worst things we do as teachers is test children and put them in groups. It doesn't take long to work out that Gold group is infact thick group,the Triangles are useless at Maths and the kids who go outside with Mrs. Bigbotham are dim.Those who can wack a rounders ball although thick are talented.
    No amount of SEAL will raise self esteem.

5. So it's ok to pretend to kids that they can be and do anything they want - until the real world bites their arses by telling them - sorry, you can't do A-levels, because your grades are too low?
    I'm happy with regular testing - I'm not happy with the ridiculously overly optimistic "predictions" that are made from the test results.

cyolba, wheat and chaff discriminatory services a speciality :)

6. What about those who appear chaff like but are infact pure wheat? How benficial for a chaff to aspire to wheat like levels and for them to work together? They could both learn something.
    Of course we shouldn't delude kids but we shouldn't be bunging them in little boxes aged 4. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that.

Eggy (never picked, not clever )

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I was blackmailedby my sister for months when I was about ten. I don't think I've ever really come to terms with it.

8. You could tell us all what she was blackmailing you for and then it will be out in the open =)

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It was incredibly minor but i was so scared of her that I couldn't see that and she had me doing whatever she wanted for months and months. She was devastated when I finally owned up, foundit didn't matter anyway, and she no longer had a hold over me. But if i think about it it makes me feel horrible.