1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long term supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bella2891, Jan 24, 2020.

1. bella2891

bella2891 New commenter

I’ve been at a school doing long term supply in year 1 since mid October. They’ve recently increased my pay and asked if they can ‘buy me’ from the agency.

Has anyone been in this position before? How it is transitioning from long term supply to permanent staff within a school?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

You MUST look to the contract you signed with the agency and honor that. The school will have a separate contract with the agency.

If the school want to hire you permantly then they may have to pay a finder's fee to the agency.

Others may suggest differently, but I would stick to honesty.

Go back and read your contract with the agency as that is your first priority.

Also although there may be a finder's fee involved there may be scope for negotiation as the agency will probably want to keep the school as a client.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

As well as the contract issues Pepper speaks of, be clear about the pay scale and point you are being offered. There may or may not be room for negotiation. Be sure you know whether you’re being offered a temporary or permanent contract.

As far as the transition goes, you’ve probably already taken on most of the planning and class teacher duties for a year 1 class so you’ll know what that entails. You will probably be asked to take on a wider school responsibility. Depending on the size of the school, this could be a subject leadership. That’s a big issue in schools at the moment.

If you wanted supply as a stepping stone to a full time, secure job then well done. If all you wanted was a bit of income without the full responsibility then it might be more than you bargained for. I’m presuming it’s the former so don’t be frightened to ask about the exact pay and contract from both the school and the agency.

4. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Be very careful... unless you are absolutely sure the school is for you stick at what you're doing.

I have come across several cases like yours and what often happens is that the school's attitude towards you as a member of staff suddenly changes. As supply you have the power, and so the school know that they cant take liberties. However, as soon as you're under permanent contract the power shifts dramatically to the school.

And then the p%^&taking begins.....

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

They may have increased your pay because of the 12 week rule.

I would talk to your agency. Make it clear to the school that you want to be paid to scale. And that you will not be negotiating directly with them without the agency’s knowledge.

Don’t rush into a decision straight away. Ask around. What is the staff turnover like? How frequent are learning walks, book scrutinies?. How many duties, meetings, lunch time clubs are expected over the week? Are staff happy? What is pay progression policy?

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All excellent sound advice above.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

There is much more to it than simply the fees and the agency contract.
    I have spent the last few years on long term roles, and some of them have resulted in a similar offer, and each time I have turned them down because of the protection against over work imbued in an agency contract.
    I don't care as much about holiday pay, sick pay, pension, whatever, because I've factored that all in when I neogtiated with my agencies. I also value the fact that schools are treading on egg shells around you in several major respects-
    -they are hesitant about asking for extras like parents' evening, lest the agency charges
    -they are hesitant about scrutinising marking and lesson plans, lest you simply leave. They know these things are unpleasant for staff, but they are paid not to care. The result is I mark work to help the kids, not to satisfy those above.
    -they are quick to help with resourcing and reprographics because they do not want behaviour issues to arise which they then have to exit their office to help deal with
    -they are happier to under timetable you in terms of PPA to allow marking and prep time, lest...guess what....you leave.

I do not have the security of a permanent contract, but I love my job. I honestly think I am a better teacher than ever, I have time for the kids, I trouble shoot for other staff if I get a spare moment, and there are plenty, and I find my relationships with all school staff, the whole spectrum, are upbeat and productive.
    I see all of the above disappearing at the drop of a hat were I to be permanent.
    However, this is all only because I've done my career and my climbing. Leading to my complete disenfranchisement with the whole system. Now I'm after something called "satisfaction".
    But we are all different, and I guess you need to consider what you want longer term.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In addition to all of the above, make sure the school does not ask you to pay the finder's fee. Some will just ask you straight out to pay it up front, while others might offer you a lower salary to recoup it.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.