1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

long term supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by geenius, Oct 29, 2015.

1. geenius

geenius New commenter

Hi, I was wanting to ask what do schools expect of long term supply teachers (in secondary schools)?

Do long term supply teachers have to attend all meetings after school if being paid to scale?

Having spoken to others some say they have never had a supply teacher (long term or short term) attend after school meetings. I just wanted to know what other people's experiences have been as I am considering applying for longer term work.

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@geenius

I would depend on your employment status: employed directly by the school (ie put on the school's pay roll) or employed by a supply agency and contracted to the school.

If you are employed directly by the school then you will be given a contract which should include a job description outlining your duties and this would very likely mirror the job description of a permanent member of staff (which usually takes reference from the Teachers' Standards). Attendance at meetings are likely to fall into the duties they expect you to undertake.

However, if you are working at the school via a recruitment agency and are requested by the school to attend after school meetings then you will need to negotiate being paid to scale from day one. Agencies tend not to want to do this as it affects the profit they make from the contract, legally they are not obliged to pay you to scale until you have worked in the same school for 12 weeks (school holidays pause the 12 week clock). If you are only working until Christmas you will be unlikely to receive this enhanced daily rate. You might also wish to note that 'paid to scale' usually means that you will be paid on the equivalent daily rate to (what was) MPS6, which equates to about £168 per day - agencies very rarely take into account movement through threshold.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. disconic

disconic New commenter

I'm in a lucky position to find myself in a long term placement until may (maternity cover). The school seemed keen to put me on a contract with them but it seems the agency wanted too much money to 'buy' me out of their contract. I'm attending all the meetings I would expect to do as a normal member of staff. Does this mean I can charge extra hours from the agency?
    Thanks

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You might find the answer in the first instance, disonic, is no. It's best to enter a contract with agreed terms and not to renegotiate them during its performance. I would write very briefly to your agency stating exactly how many hours you are working as ask for that to be taken into account.
    I feel, if you are doing the full job you should be paid the full rate - you find your annual salary entitlement (on the TES jobs page) and divide that by 194 (the number of working days) which gives you a day rate to put to your agency as the rate you ought to be paid. Ask for that.
    The school's apparent willingness to employ you is your lever. They want you.
    After 12 weeks in the same placement, you will automatically be paid that rate anyway unless you have a guaranteed pay/guaranteed work contract.
    Read the union advice pinned at the top of this forum.

snowyhead and disconic like this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

That might depend on your agency and you can ask.

I have been paid extra for doing parents' evenings and if the school has a particularly long day. I was also told to keep a record of any hours I spend on school work over a weekend and the agency would charge the school for that (although I do my best to avoid weekend working).

On long term placements I only attend meetings (and was only expected to) if they have a relevance for my role ie: faculty meetings or Ofsted alerts. I was not expected to endure the whole school meetings where the members of SLT used to waffle on about "future visions of the school" or about "its journey to outstanding".