1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long term supply - will I get a contract, what's expected of me?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Trapin1, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

I'm an NQT taking up a long term supply position in January for 2 terms. The job is at the school where I did my final teaching practice and may, in fact, lead to a permant position. The class teacher is leaving and because the children already know me (I've done loads of supply there since qualifying) the head wants to provide continuity and I'm being given the chance to prove myself before the permanent position is advertised. I'm employed directly by the school for supply so wondered if I should be offered some sort of contract? I know the planning and assessment will be down to me and that I'll have to attend staff meetings but what about all the other extra-curricular things like swimming galas, football matches (it's a year 5/6 class so there'll be plenty of this sort of thing)? I'm all for showing willing but would like to know my rights and I don't want to pester the head in case she thinks I'm being awkward or something.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

You should not expect to be offered a contract nor to attend any event which is not directly related to taeching/learning. So, parents' evenings - yes. Swimming galas out of school time - no.
    Supply do not norally attend staff meetings or PD days/twilight and certainly cannot be required to do so.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You will be subject to the 1265 maximum Directed Time hours (for a whole school year) whether employed on LA Daily pay or a fixed term contract. Your total Directed hours should be reduced to take account of the 2 terms remaining.
    In my area the pro-rata Directed Hours for the Spring and Summer terms would be 791 or 792 hours.
    Directed Hours apply for any school/pupil activity taking place on a school day. So, Registration, staff briefings, lesson time, PPA and NQT time, meetings, open evenings, Parents' evenings, sports days (or sessions) etc.
    Directed Time is when the Head can insist that you be somewhere, doing allocated work. You are additionally required to do, at a time and place of your choosing, any other work (if applicable) that is needed for you to fulfill your duties. That's planning and markings that can't be completed in PPA time for most teachers.
    As to how you are paid, you need to know if they are going to give you a fixed term contract and , if so, if it will be until the last date of school in July or the 31st August.
    Contract work would be paid monthly and would be the annual pay point divided by 12, with a smaller amount in July if employment ends on 22nd July or thereabouts. It would give you paid sick leave and would allow you to use every employed week (even holidays) to count towards the 26 that you need to go up the payscale in September 2011, even if Induction is incomplete)
    Daily pay might be the better option if you are only going to be paid until 22nd July as Daily pay has built-in holiday pay. The daily rate is annual pay divided by 195. Multiply that by the (approximately) 122 days in the Spring and Summer terms (that includes INSET days) and you will arrive at your maximum earnings on that rate, to be compared with the two possible gross amounts on contract.
    Daily pay cannot be claimed for any school days when you are absent. Only calendar weeks when you did some work (even one day) can be counted towards the 26 needed for pay progression, but you should be OK there as you have already done LA paid supply work in tis Autumn term.
    Contract rate from 1st January to 31st August would be the most advantageous in terms of pay and conditions and would give you continuous employment should you be the successful candidate for the permanent vacancy.

4. Nice carrot on a stick, she'll probably hire her mate from church's son! Sorry to be awful, but I've seen the Carrot on a Stick happen many a time and people getting heartbroken.

5. Even if you work there, going on supply only means the school has zero obligation to employ you after it expires, and also you can be dismissed on a whim if they desire without a contract. This actually happened to me. If the full time post is advertised as they say they "might" do, you will also be competing with outside applicants too.

If the head really does want to give you a chance to prove yourself, ask yourself this:
    Why are they not offfering an NQT contract to me right now, and why is this supply only?

Be very careful, you might just be the stopgap while they wait for a more suitable applicant.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's still regular employment in these uncertain times for supply teachers. It will be better experience than random supply when applying for the vacancy at this school and at others.It will still involve completing some Induction.
    Make sure that they reister you immediately and give you the required 10% NQT timetable reduction (on top of the standard 10% PPA time). They can't refuse you Induction if you will have a regular timetable for which you plan and assess.

7. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Thanks, Jubilee, for a very comprehensive reply. I will be undertaking Induction and as you say, it cannot be any worse than the randomsupply work I've been doing of late.
    Stuart Dann, I know what you are saying and am aware this could happen. I was originally told that the permanent post was going to be advertised but that, given the lateness of the current teacher's resignation, it was unlikely that an experienced teacher, probably currently in post, would be able to start until Easter and that I would be offered the first term on supply. The decision to keep me for 2 terms is because the class already know me and I them and this would therefore provide some continuity. I haven't been made any promises and am just glad of the experience and opportunity to begin Induction. I do understand the head's concerns- the SATs results have been poor for some years and OFSTED have rated the school as satisfactory only, so the pressure is on with a year 5/6 class. Prior to qualifying this year I was a TA with 7 years experience in year 6 and think this is why the head is giving me a trial without committing herself.

8. This reeks of ****, for want of better words and yes, I have seen this happen on a particular post I applied for where a supply got stung. You are only as much of an idiot as you let yourself be. It strikes me as a familar game of brinkmanship where there is no contest. Put your cards on the table and explain what you want. At worst, you can force her hand into saying "actually, you are second rate and I'd rather employ Julie's nephew" or you get some sort of contract. Management respect non-idiots (as long as they do what their told), by being an idiot, you don't increase your chances, outside of your own delusion. Anyway, best of luck. Stu

9. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Stuart Dann, once again thanks for your reply, but I do take umbrage at your suggestion that I'm an idiot - I'm a very very mature NQT with lots of life experience outside education and anybody who knows me will tell you that I'm nobody's fool. What I have learned over the years is that enthusiasm, professionalism, intelligence and dedication reap their own rewards. I'm testament to that and achieved QTS in two terms having demonstrated all these qualities. I'm far from deluded, just confident in my own abilities, but at the same time am aware that life isn't always fair. I'm a great believer that things happening for a reasons so I'll take my chances.

10. Trapin1
    I myself was in a similar situation as an NQT and I got the job at the end of the period of supply. The best thing to do is work your socks off and do anything the school asks.
    A couple of the other posts are going on about directed time and not going to meetings, etc, but I'd say ignore that advice! That will only put you in the schools bad books.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I agree - just get on with it and add value wherever you can. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. For God's sake don't start quoting terms and conditions at them - in your position pragmatism is the order of the day, and I hope there's a happy outcome for you. If they poo on you at the end, at least make them feel guilty for having done so and move on ;-)

And that's coming from an ex Union rep, so I fully understand and appreciate others' cynicism, believe me.

12. Bottom line: despite all the flattery, all the wonderful pep talk etc etc NO ONE IS INDISPENSABLE and the permanent contract after your two terms will probably go to the cheapest NQT on MPS scale1 !
    That is the unfair reality, cynical cost cutting and budgetism!
    Self-deception is cruel but we all do it and I have been there so many times. Show what I'm worth on supply, get encouraged to apply and then...[​IMG]

13. I have been in a similar position. I was offered a long term supply placement in a nursery class which "could turn into a permanent post". I worked my socks off, attended staff meetings, worked late, did extra etc. This seemed to be expected. The job was advertised (as I expected) so I applied. I attended interview but it was decided that they would not appoint - would I stay another term? (continuity for the children). Oh, and maybe I would like a temp contract for that term. I accepted. The post was advertised again, for start of term 3. I applied. "Oh, we've just taken the decision, this morning, not to appoint ... of course we would like you to stay - for continuity for the children. We can't offer another temp contract though, you will go back on supply, won't you?" Grrr. I'm afraid I accepted (being unsure I would find anything else) but made it clear that if anything else turned up I was out of there. The post was not advertised again, it was offered to someone who had applied for a KS1 post. I'm willing to believe that on the long road towards ths ellusive post I made myself unpopular by expressing mild annoyance at the whole inefficient and exploitative scenario.
    ....not saying your 'possible permanent post' will be anything like mine - just letting you know how things can be. Some schools (a lot) do not work with any sense of regard to those who work hard and loyally for them, they just do what seems pragmatic and cheap in the short term.

14. True, rarely is there an employer who actually gives a damn about their staff. Anyone can get shafted on a whim or on what the market dictates, or whos the cheapest bang for the buck.

It seems the OP has decided to be taken on a ride.