1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long Term Supply: Pay Rate

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anantag, Oct 19, 2018.

1. anantag

anantag New commenter

I have been offered a role as a long term supply in a Primary, I will be responsible for planning, assessing etc and expected to attend training days/insets.

My current day rate as a supply is £130, just wondered what I can expect as a long term supply with these added responsibilities. Am ready to negotiate, just wondered what a realistic rate would be.

Thank you

pepper5 likes this.
  2. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Well the agency I’m with give you £110 daily where it’s all set and then £125 when you have to plan yourself, until you get to week 13 when AWR kicks in.

Meanwhile my friend is with another agency who’ve gotten her pay to scale from day one in a school where she’s working September - December.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Hardly comparable I know but I've been doing long-term supply in Secondary Maths/Science in West Yorkshire for £195 a day* since Easter 2017, these are 6 separate contracts with 3 different agencies. Money is purely a matter of what you can get away with and has little to do with my teaching ability, much more my willingness to go to schools that few others can face.

I'm impressed that you managed to get the time to think about the offer. My experience is of haggling on the spot with daily rate agreed before the phone is put down. The only compromise on that is to say, "I'll see how it goes for the first week but I expect a substantial increase after that." (more politely than I've just put it), It means that week has to be quality from me but I do that anyway. During that week the agent had better be pestering the school for the rise (which they might have already got and kept) so I can get the full rate in due course.

Dare you play such silly games or do you have a conscience and other such scruples?

*to my shame all with Umbrella companies

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Add at least £20 a day...

Primary is a killer..

pepper5 likes this.
  5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

If you know your MPS rate, you just divide that by 195 and that's what your daily rate for doing the full job should be. There is a salary calculator linked to the TES website and the homepages of all the teaching unions to verify the exact rate. Don't forget to add on 3.5% as promised by the Secretary of State for Education.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Yeah but the caveat is “what the job would be advertised as” ... and a lot of agencies will make you work 12 weeks before getting near your salary.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I'm on long term supply and get £130 a day. My previous long term placement (during 2016 to 2017 academic year) was £122.50 a day. My standard daily rate is £115. So I'm currently getting £15 per day more for long term but was previously only getting £7.50 per day more. But a lot of it will depend on where you are geographically I'd guess...

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I got £125 a day on long term - but that was 5 years ago.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Don't fall for that. The obvious alternative for the school/agency is to make sure you're sacked/released/let go at the end of week 11. Anyway if you're good enough in week 12 to earn this then you're good enough in week 2. Make sure week 1 is all about pushing for a decent rate from week 2 onwards.

Mermaid7 likes this.