1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long term supply in pre school - where do I start?!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by year1109, Jul 23, 2019.

1. year1109

year1109 New commenter

I have agreed to do long term supply teaching from the start of the autumn term in a pre school. I am not completely new to EYFS but I have been asked if I can take over planning which I will do, but I feel overwhelmed. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start please and what I can be doing/reading over the holidays? I am going in on two INSET days to get a feel etc.

Thank you!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Early Years staffroom has some great planning for maths and phonics and for topics.
    Also is there a reception teacher or similar you can email over the holidays?
    Find out when the school is open and go in and have a look round the classroom, rearrange if you want to, make it your own. (I'm assuming you are going to be there until Christmas at least?)

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Welcome to the world of early years.
    You mention a preschool so is it attached to a school or stand alone or part of a Day nursery? If you have a friendly nursery open over the hols, you could ask to visit. If it's a preschool there will be other staff, so you can learn from them.
    Initially you want to get to know the children so you will want to find out about the settling in process, timetable, etc. If it's a preschool there will be a manager, see if you can meet them for ideas. Accept that it takes time to get used to, but refresh your knowledge of the EYFS.
    Nursery year in action Anna ephgrave is a good starting point and there are loads of sites for great activities
    I'd always say when new, work with what's there to begin with, then adapt it as you grow.