1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long term supply but also being used as day to day?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by spiderpig, Mar 21, 2012.

1. <font size="2">Just a quick one</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">I am several weeks into a long term supply, covering a member of staff who has left the school.</font><font size="2">So I am teaching, marking and planning for my timetable.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">The question is, can the school keep giving me random cover session to top up my timetable as I am slightly under hours on the normal time table.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">EG this week I have 2 frees, (have more in the 2nd week) already both of those PPA/Free/NCT have been taken to cover other staff that are off sick or out on a trip.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Many thanks.</font>

2. <font size="2">Just a quick one</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">I am several weeks into a long term supply, covering a member of staff who has left the school.</font><font size="2">So I am teaching, marking and planning for my timetable.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">The question is, can the school keep giving me random cover session to top up my timetable as I am slightly under hours on the normal time table.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">EG this week I have 2 frees, (have more in the 2nd week) already both of those PPA/Free/NCT have been taken to cover other staff that are off sick or out on a trip.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Many thanks.</font>

3. If you are planning and marking you should get all the frees that a contract teacher would be entitled to. However if the teacher you are covering had some extra frees due to being head of department or head of year you probably can't expect to have all of them. I did a long term last year where because I was planning for A level they let me keep all the frees though the teacher I was covering was HofD so had a couple more frees than other teachers. (But that said, as an NQT, I should technically have been having more anyway.) So you should definitely be getting the minimum which is 10% non contact time.

4. Ha! No chance if you are not contracted. You are probably on daily rate and the school decides to make you work and so extract their two pounds of flesh. Don't do all the prep, marking etc and they will get rid of you. Lose lose situation then!

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Not on Daily Rate, you have no entitlement to PPA or any other release time, it is purely at the discretion of the school.