1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long term supply availability

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TheOracleAtDelphi, Dec 14, 2019.

1. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

We've had several threads about the lack of day-to-day work but I was interested in people's experience of long-term supply at the moment...the reason I ask is that in past years I've either ended up falling into a long-term position or my agency has approached me about putting me forward for various positions yet this academic year there has been hardly anything...I was just curious what it was like elsewhere. There also haven't been a massive number of normal job adverts for post-Christmas starts or maternity covers either...

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Usually I've had my agency talk about several long term opportunities by now. So far they have only discussed one back in September and the school didn't get back to them..or if they did it was a No. (I wasn't keen on that post)..

3. 23741589

23741589 New commenter

I've been asked to go to several schools for a possible long term position. Perhaps location is key as im in a big city.

Got one interview tomorrow in fact but they want a 100 minute session on alkanes. Just cobbling that together now. Too much like when I was a normal teacher.

4. TheOracleAtDelphi

Wow that is a long interview lesson! Is there that much to say about them? :)

5. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

Alkane? Michael's brother?

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Since September I've been in 7 schools, surprising for me as I seem to do okay as long-term supply, hardly any unemployment but salary has been yo-yoing due to my need to settle in before pitching for £200+.Still the worst is £140 for a day.

All this is in West Yorkshire and the fact I can offer Maths/Science. Also not minding bottom-end schools does help. I do feel that education is collapsing rapidly and Mrs Cazorla and I are planning our escape now (doesn't mean we'll get away though)

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

P.S. I hope the interview went well.

I do wonder whether I should look at secondary again in terms of getting a job but I haven't taught the (no longer not that) new specs for GCSE, which would be a major impediment and I think the boredom of teaching the same thing all-day every day would be even more off-putting after the stint in primary so I'm avoiding it for now. Not to mention knowing how challenging the behaviour can be in primary, I dread to think what it is like in secondary these days.

8. TheOracleAtDelphi

That is a lot for you JohnJCarzola. I'm surprised you are not running out of schools ( or do you tend to go back to the same ones for long term covers? I think you have been doing suppky for a while now?)

9. HS65

HS65 New commenter

I’ve been doing supply since September 18 .... I’ve had three longer term placements in that time, along with some day to day.
    Starting a maternity cover after Christmas direct with a school. So far so good.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Some schools have really disappeared up their own backsides! A two-period lesson would be a bit excessive for an interview for a permanent job, let alone a poorly paid stop-gap one that might only last a few weeks.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

I have had a couple try the old....."The school would like you to come in for an interview trial day".... aka a free day of supply.....:).... God bless their cotton socks you can't blame them for trying! When I tell them that I don't under ANY circumstances work for free, they act like the thought had never entered their minds..... :cool:

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Are agencies still trying on that old b0ll0cks? Usually a 'trial day' during which none of the lessons you are covering is remotely connected to your subject speciality, nor does the HoD, or anyone from the SMT, come anywhere near you.

13. TheOracleAtDelphi

To be fair, I have done a few trial days but they have always been paid! I guess it depends on how an agency uses the terminology.