1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long term sick..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Katy1967, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Katy1967

Katy1967 New commenter

hi, I.ve been off work for 6months. I had serious illness. I find school hsve moved my classroom and I have not been told...many personal belongings and gifts from kiddies are in that room..I teach primary. It,s a major move...No contact with colleagues . Very upset...I got the info from a parent !!
    Dr says not fit another 6 months max,feel out of control with it all... very stressed

2. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Talk to Union, ask them to contact the school requesting they pack up your personal items.

You're out for a full year, it's fairly common for something like this to occur.

agathamorse and Katy1967 like this.
  3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

The Union may be able to collect your items from school and bring them to your home address or arrange for a friend to collect the items from school.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Sorry things are difficult. The school has to deal with the issues of your absence, and it sounds as if they are doing so, and not putting you under pressure.
    You may find that anything personal has been boxed up and put aside for you. In which case, there is no need to be upset. Union (or maybe you have a friend at the school you can ask?) can find out for you. Is it a WRS illness? If so, you are not really going to be up to going in and fetching things. If, on the other hand, it is a physical illness, then perhaps you can drop by one evening and get your stuff.
    However distressing it might be to lose things you have been given, or personal property, this is not as imortant as your health. Try not to become too upset about this. Focus on your recovery.
    And good luck.

5. Katy1967

Katy1967 New commenter

Thanks. I hope they are boxed up! Just amazed they can move a whole classroom. With no mention of this to myself! I put so much effort to make it safe and child friendly..I wonder how the children feel!