1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

long term sick line managed colleague returning - how do i support her including challenge elements

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by brov, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi i linw manage a team in an infant school as deputy head. A collegue has been off sick with cited work related stress. she has been off for 6 months. I want to support her however i also need to emphasise that the job needs to be done to a high standard and fully. She is starting on a phased return as a non teaching person with the supply teacher who has been in the class. I want to have timetabled formal minuted 1 to 1s weekly - what else can i do without her feeling she is constantly being watched or monitored

2. Hi i linw manage a team in an infant school as deputy head. A collegue has been off sick with cited work related stress. she has been off for 6 months. I want to support her however i also need to emphasise that the job needs to be done to a high standard and fully. She is starting on a phased return as a non teaching person with the supply teacher who has been in the class. I want to have timetabled formal minuted 1 to 1s weekly - what else can i do without her feeling she is constantly being watched or monitored

3. It is good practice to carry out a risk assessment on return relating to stress. HR would send you this- sometimes referred to as PD35. This must have an action plan and follow up as an outcome to return them to the classroom in a phased and successful fashion. All this you record. regular meetings and extra training might be needed or a referral to wellbeing@work or counselling. You demonstrate good support to return to full duties but also make your expectations clear.