1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

long term planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by prettylitttlemonkey, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hey guys
    I was wondering if any one can help..
    I work in an early years setting with pre school children
    I am in the process of developing the long term planning. Can anyone give me any information or ideas on how to do the layout and format and what new infomation needs to be included.
    Thanks

2. Hey guys
    I was wondering if any one can help..
    I work in an early years setting with pre school children
    I am in the process of developing the long term planning. Can anyone give me any information or ideas on how to do the layout and format and what new infomation needs to be included.
    Thanks

3. Long term planning is frowned upon in Early Years Settings now as you are supposed to plan from the children's interest. You could have a skeleton planning of areas you would like to teach, I do my literacy and PSRN this way but I often have to change them around to match the children's interest.

4. Your long term planning should come from your continuous provision plans. have a look on durham's EYFS website for ideas.

5. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

Hello.
    I have a Long Term Plan with some themes identified as they lend themselves to particular times of the year. For example, light and dark in Autumn and minibeasts in Summer. Then I identify the stories (including fairy stories), nursery rhymes and enhancements to the provision that fit in with the topic. In doing that I have an idea of what might happen in the provision across the year. I also like to have an overview of when I would focus on teaching particular skills (such as using glue, scissors, using a rolling pin) and have these organised according to when I think the children might be developmentally ready for them.
    In my opinion, children's interests should be fed in to MTP and STP level, but we also need to teach them things that they should/need to know.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Development Matters is my long term planning. Specific activities can take place at any time and specific skills (glue, scissors) whenever required.