1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long Term placements

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hope4thefuture, Oct 19, 2017.

1. hope4thefuture

hope4thefuture New commenter

Do you get placements for a whole academic year? How can this work? Can anybody let me know their experiences?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends on the training and which course PGCe or whatever SCITT is now.

3. hope4thefuture

Not quite what I meant. I meant long term supply placements.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I hope for the future.

If a school wants you for a long term placement which is usually anything over a couple of weeks, then you do the marking, planning and do all the other work a permanent teacher would be expected to do and would get a higher daily rate.

If you are working through an agency, tell the agency you would like a long term placement. It is that simple.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most are for a half term or a term - occasionally longer

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ah, apologies. In my present state of mind I hadn't noticed this was posted on the Supply forum.
    :oops:

As to long term placements, they will depend entirely on the teacher who is absent, their state of health and when they are fit to return, or in the case of Compassionate leave how long they need. Maternity cover on the length of time the mother wants off and that decision can change depending on how they feel/ can manage financially.

The only 'definite placements with a specified time', would tend to be after a resignation and the school was unable to recruit. Again they may decide to re-advertise and therefore unlikely to be offered a whole year up-front. If early enough in a term to impress it may sway a school not to advertise of course.;)

7. hope4thefuture

I get (and have done) that.

I was thinking specifically about placements of a year or so. Would you continue to be on a daily rate? What might you try to be on? After all, if you are doing 'supply' for a year, you might as well just get a full time job (I've turned down 4 of those already this year.) Would you be employed by the school and just ask the agency to charge a finders fee? I would be really interested to hear other people's experiences / impressions.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

On long term placements a common consequence for a supply teacher who tries to claim pay parity with a full-time teacher after twelve weeks is to be replaced. Far from offering long-term teachers a higher daily rate for increased responsibilities, some agencies expect the teacher to accept a lower rate for enjoying the privilege of regular work.

9. hope4thefuture

Which I find strange, as then people will just go straight to the schools? I grant you that day to day is hard to get, but full time positions really aren't. You just have to put up with all the nonsense.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Supply placements of that length of time are virtually unheard of (especially these days). You may get a maternity cover for 6 months or so but that's about it.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. hope4thefuture

Interesting. I've been offered 3 from different agencies in the past 10 days - hence my post.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most schools would appoint a supply teacher for a term and then look for a permanent replacement after that.

A supply contract for a whole year is very expensive for a school.

Just because it's offered as a one year placement don't assume that it will last a year. Unless you sign a formal contract with the school then if they find anyone during that time then you may find yourself replaced.

JohnJCazorla and gingerhobo48 like this.
  13. hope4thefuture

My thoughts exactly. Would they appoint the supply teacher, or look for someone different? Any thoughts on negotiating this?

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are others on this forum who could advise you better than I can - I'm on a permanent contract at the moment so I'm not as up-to-date with the supply market as I was.

Get yourself the best deal you can and then try and do as good a job as you can. Depends what you want - if you want to get a permanent job then a long-term position is a very good way to do it.

Bear in mind though if you are working through an agency and the school you are working in wants to employ you then they may have to pay the agency a "finders fee" which can be very expensive.

If what you want is permanent employment then my advice would be to take the placement you want and then start applying for jobs in other schools. You will be in a much better position application wise if you are already working long-term in a school.

That's what I did.

15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have done several placements starting in January which carried on for the rest of the academic year. This was sometimes when a teacher was long term sick and probably not coming back but the school was not able to advertise the post until this was confirmed. I've also done year long placements in the same school on two occasions, but not the same post, it was more a case of one teacher leaving as another came back to work and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

You should get extra money for long term placements and need to negotiate your rate with the agency. Trying to get full time rate parity after 12 weeks is risky as you might find your services are no longer required if you do. Unless of course the school is akin to St Trinians on steroids and no one else will go there.

I have only ever heard of a supply teacher landing a job with a school after a long term placement and its nothing to do with the supply's abilities but due to the high "finder's fee" an agency will expect if they lose one of their teachers to a school. There are plenty of new (and cheap) NQTs entering the system each year so why would a school pay more? The only supply I knew who did get a contracted post was with one of the few (in fact the last I think) LEA funded schools in the area.

JohnJCazorla and peakster like this.
  16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Still? Not what I've heard.
    If they need someone to cover an exam class, they tend to prefer experience.

Personally I wouldn't bother with agencies anymore. Just contact the schools directly.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I get nothing but long placements. This current one is for a full year, last year was and the previous one. According to the person who I get my information from, who works for one of the largest agencies, the demand for long term cover has increased. At least this is the trend in E. Anglia.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Beware of long-term which may lead to permanent. I was precisely on that 'offer' when the school interviewed a bright, young thing. This was for the advertised job that I was filling. Despite the fact that the closing date for applications was still a fortnight away they offered him the job and then I was observed, Surprise, surprise the lesson wasn't deemed good and I was on my way out at the end of the week.

Strangely enough I'm not bitter about it. I got paid top rate for the first five weeks of this academic year and I'm now back on the medium-term supply which can demand high rates but is not quite as vicious as a proper job. All I need are earplugs when Mrs Cazorla periodically points out that I need a permanent, full-time post.

I'm not sure there's a moral to this story but perhaps someone could enlighten me?
    "Don't let the b******'s grind you down" possibly.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. bounceback

bounceback New commenter

Urrrggh! Why couldn't they just be honest about it? No need to undermine you in this way.

I once lost the possibility of a job because of the 'finders fee' carry on. The school were upfront about it though. I then changed agencies anyway as I didn't think much of the way they operated generally.

OP - It's just my opinion - If you want long term I would avoid going through agencies if possible.

JL48 likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When I was new and naïve to the supply game, I was introduced to a school through an agency. The school was prepared to offer a temporary contract for a term, on condition that I paid the agency's finder's fee (£350, if I remember rightly) , in advance. Pull the other one, I thought, and gave both agency and school a wide birth.

pepper5 likes this.