1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long-term/permanent post "spikes"...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Chanteuse, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I am desperate for a long-term or permanent position in my subject. At the moment, I am working as a supply teacher, and whilst I do enjoy the work, I don't get the same fulfilment that I did when I was teaching my subject. Another pressing issue is the matter of my NQT year, which I am yet to start, never mind complete. There are jobs coming up in my subject, however they all seem to be HOD, which I don't think I would get (and rightfully so!).

My question is: will the jobs "spike" after the deadline of 31st October? Are there usually many posts at this time of year? I've heard mixed opinions on this. Are the schools likely to put a new advert out if they recruit a HOD internally?

Sorry if I'm rambling, this is all new to me, and I didn't look much for jobs until January when I was doing my PGCE as I knew I wouldn't be able to commit to any roles until July/Sept.

Thanks in advance,

Chanteuse x

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

People resign continually throughout the year; not everyone waits until the last possible moment to resign (the deadline); schools advertise vacancies at different times.

How many jobs are advertised at any one time will depend on your subject and location.

Have you considered maternity cover roles? If the role starts at an odd date it may be less desirable to some, so more advantageous for you. As long as it's at least a term you can begin your NQT year.

Chanteuse likes this.
  3. Chanteuse

@blueskydreaming I have my eye out for all kinds of roles and would definitely take a maternity post. I'm just itching to teach my subject again!

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, there is a spike after the 31st Oct deadline, but not as large as the summer one. However the field of applicants is also much smaller, so still a great chance of a post.

Chanteuse likes this.
  5. Chanteuse