1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long Term PE plan for small schools

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by DawnCoxley, Sep 3, 2012.

1. DawnCoxley

DawnCoxley New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am in desperate need of some help. Not only is it my NQT year but I have also been given the role of PE co-ordinator. My headteacher wants me to devise a long term plan for PE but the issue I have is we are a small school and only have two classes. I teach a mixed class of rec/yr1/yr2 and the other teachers has mixed y3/4/5/6. Therefor I dont really know where to begin in trying to organise a long term plan that covers all the year groups in each class in 1 PE session a week.

If anyone from another small school could possibly help I would very much appreciate it.

2. Hi, I'm from a three class school so can understand some of the challenges that come about when planning for mixed ages. I'd suggest you start with a 2 year rolling programme and try to differentiate so that the older/more able children are challenged more - ie. Include more shapes or specific rolls in a gymnstic sequence. The children will obviously repeat certain elements but as long as its differentiated they'll meet them at another level.
    Try to include 12 aspects of PE over the two years - perhaps include the obvious elements like gymnastics on the floor & gym on the apparatus (PESS is a realy good scheme for gym) mini games or ball skills. But it's also a god opportunity to include things like orieneering if your school grounds are appropriate & water polo if you have access to a local pool. Hope this is of some help to you.