1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long term illness

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Tomforever, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Tomforever

Tomforever New commenter

Hi all, I have long term illness/disability which I have had for over 4 years, thankfully my head is very supportive and as long as they are kept informed they are fine. However, not the same can be said of my immediate colleagues as it is not a physical illness, I know some think I make it up for a day off work. I work full time but struggled when I'm ill. Is anyone else in this position and could give me some advice? TIA

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I would say if the head is supportive, just try to ignore it. Best of luck.

agathamorse, Tomforever and letap like this.
  3. letap

letap Occasional commenter

As said above - the head is supportive as long as they are informed.
    Working when you are ill generally makes you worse anyway and you are not likely to get any credit for working whilst unwell..

agathamorse and Tomforever like this.
  4. Tomforever

Tomforever New commenter

Thanks for that, I should have been clearer and said I'd meant generally how do people cope with a long term illnesa and being a full time teacher

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If the head is supportive, then maybe ask them to have a word with colleagues?

Have time off when needed.
    Take medication to alleviate symptoms a little.
    Keep the head and deputy fully informed with how things are going.
    Try hard not to tell less understanding colleagues to F&^% O^$

6. caress

caress Occasional commenter

I'm in the same boat, I have severe hypothyroidism which doesn't look like it'll be sorted out any time soon. My hips are so painful I'm getting one of these wheeled walker things to help me get about, and I'm exhausted and ill a lot of the time. I'm incredibly lucky that both my department and managers are extremely kind and understanding and although I struggle into work every day, on the days that I physically can't, I have had nothing but the utmost support. That's part of the reason I don't want to be signed off long-term or even short-term. As long as I can struggle in, I will.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

For some people work is great therapy. A distraction. You decide for yourself. Follow your instinct. Do what feels right for you.

Tomforever and caress like this.