1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long-term absence, job prospects.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by 4ng, Sep 27, 2015.

1. 4ng

4ng New commenter

Hi Theo,

I am currently in the process of applying for a new job. I have been in my current school since I was an NQT seven years ago. It is a very challenging, inner-city that has gone from SM to academy with 'good' ratings. Last year, I was signed off of work with work-related burnout and stress. I am now absolutely fine and have my sights set on a new start in January.
    However, I am quite worried that any job offer I get will be withdrawn after the school finds out about my absence last year.
    Any advice on this?
    Thank you! :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are you now back at work, @4ng ?

3. 4ng

4ng New commenter

Yes, I am back at work full time, I did a phased return in June 2014 and started with my new class in september. @TheoGriff

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK.

In which case I believe that you need to mention your absence in your application.

Get it over and done with, in a manner which you control, instead of them hearing about the bald facts later on. Schools have a legal obligation to ensure Fitness for Teaching when they appoint someone.

So you could say something along these lines, IF TRUE. Do not say anything that isn't true, so change my example if it doesn't reflect accurately your situation.

Having had a period of absence last year for anxiety and stress, from which I am now fully recovered, I believe that I am as a consequence better equipped than many teachers to cope with the everyday stress of the job as a teacher, because I have devised and implemented strategies to cope with this. I gain so much satisfaction from working with the students(pupils?) and seeing their progress that this gives me even greater pride and fulfilment.

Be prepared to be asked in interview what some of these strategies are!

Good luck