1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long Stays in the Same Schools/Locations

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by StrangePanda, Sep 5, 2018.

1. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

I'm wondering what might be some of the longest periods of time that people have spent at one school.

If you have moved on, or tried to, do you think that finding a job has been more of a challenge (perhaps because of salary expectations, the perception from potential schools that you might have become set in your ways, or other reasons)?

I understand that this might sound like a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but I'm just curious about different perspectives on this.

Thank you!

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I did 16.3 years overseas split into the following (number of years) 3/3/8/2.3. School number 1 and number 4 were the same school.

I think schools are generally more interested in how good you are at your job rather than how much/little time you have spent at your current school or previous schools.

blue451 and StrangePanda like this.
  3. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

1,4,1,3,1,5,5....the 1's were where I decided that life was too short to put up with either **** schools or silly management.

Perce

Helen-Back, blue451 and StrangePanda like this.
  4. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

2, 3, 39... The first one I moved since the owner and I did not see eye-to-eye. The second I left because there was a revolution. The third I stayed at because I HATE moving...

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

My longest was seven years. My shortest was one year, for the reasons expressed by Perce.

jofran, blue451 and StrangePanda like this.
  6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Between two and eleven years. Having too many short stays can damage your prospects. Having a long stay isn’t really an issue. Having a loooooong stay may raise the question “why leave now?”, but if you can answer it well, that’s fine.

StrangePanda likes this.
  7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

It's funny because I've been told by so many people that staying in one place too long is a really bad thing. We're in year 6 and people but saying we've stayed too long. We're happy so I'm not sure why we should up sticks.

Mr_Frosty and StrangePanda like this.
  8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

2, 2, 6, 2, 10 and counting.

It isn't really how long you have spent in a school but what have you done. If there is a clear progression and development of roles, then it doesn't really matter.

Mr_Frosty and StrangePanda like this.
  9. miranda-s

miranda-s Occasional commenter

A number of my colleagues have been at my school for 15+ years. A few have been there for over 25.

StrangePanda likes this.
  10. 576

576 Established commenter

5, 6.3, 2.6, 5
    The first two schools were UK.
    I've just moved to school number 5.
    For me I think 5 is a good number of years and then I start getting bored.
    (school no. 3 was awful).

StrangePanda likes this.
  11. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

6, 4, 3 and now starting 6 and a good mix of UK and international posts. We have staff here who have been in the school since it opened 25 years ago.

StrangePanda likes this.
  12. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Mighty relieved to see a few 1s in the lists above. I have a couple of 1s and worry it might put schools off.

The talk of 'clear progression' though doesn't fit me I don't think, unless I have misunderstood. My role is classroom teacher and I like that role, I have never had any desire to progress to management. Sometimes I do wonder if schools might look at my CV and wonder why, after so many years classroom experience, I haven't made it any further up the tree.

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Nothing but respect for a teacher who is committed to teaching.

estrella7, blue451, tb9605 and 3 others like this.
  14. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

@blue451 I think professionp can be in your teaching as well, so how you develop your classroom skills over the years. Doesn't have to be management.

StrangePanda and blue451 like this.
  15. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Longest I have stayed in one place was 10 years. Why? Because we liked it and there were great opportunities for professional development, challenge and the opportunity to take on different roles in this time.

But, the most important factor is that we liked it and enjoyed it.

A question I got asked at interviews when moving on was 'How have you been able to broaden your experience beyond this one setting?' This was relevant to the role I was going for and was easily answerable due to the opportunities for development and engagement with other schools that I had had.

StrangePanda likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Who? Unless it's your boss I'd not bother...

Seriously, if you want promotion do make sure you're 'progressing', but there's no reason why this can't happen in your own school, surely? It used to be quite common for school leaders to have started as new class teachers in their school. It's nice for the children. Great continuity. Often helped with behaviour issues if you'd taught mum too. Many teachers knew nearly all the children in their school very well, and the children felt secure because Miss wanted to help them and was loyal to them; they didn't have new teacher every five minutes.

But if your boss did say this-well...

StrangePanda likes this.
  17. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

My boss didn't say it. I've heard it from a mixture of teachers and people on SLT (though none of the SLT are my line manager). I don't listen to them anymore. If I apply for a job elsewhere and someone can't see the benefit of my experience then I don't want to work for them.

StrangePanda likes this.
  18. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Definitely agree with that. Not sure all HTs do though.

StrangePanda likes this.
  19. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

1,2,2,3 + just signed on for another contract at the same place. My concern was again not staying anywhere for more than 1 contract and how it would look to potential employers. Think showing a bit of longevity is more attractive to potential employers than moving after the completion of every contract but I could be wrong?

20. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

3, 2, 3. Still at the last one and it would quite easy to stay here 15.

StrangePanda likes this.