1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long haul, small child.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MyOrchid, May 8, 2011.

1. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Hi,

I don't envy you! We did London - Auckland with our almost 2 year old, and although he was very good it was hard work. We had originally planned to stop over in HK but cancelled as SARS was in full swing and the NZ government wouldn't give us a firm answer about if we would be refused entry if we came from there. So we just staying in the airport and flew out the same day. Total trip time was about 36 hours, door to door, IIRC. We did a late evening (23.30ish) flight from London so Orchid Junior slept most of the way to HK. We booked a bassinet for sleeping. He was then awake for most of the HK to Auckland leg, so we just tried to keep him entertained....
    Whichever way you do it it will be a long trip, with lashings of jet lag. I'd try to keep the number of stopovers to a minimum unless you really break the journey with a 3 or 4 day stopover somewhere.
    It took us a week to get onto NZ time. At least you've got 6 weeks for Christmas!

Good luck!
    Orchid

2. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

You may also receive in depth advice on child friendly cities from posters on FlyerTalk; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airline-programs-374/ depending on which airline you fly! [​IMG]

For my penny's worth, I recently flew with Singapore Airlines, Sydney > Singapore > London for vacation, and found the stopover helped enormously with comfort and jet lag. The time difference in only 2 hours between Singapore and Australia. I always felt sorry for the parents of unsettled children, so if anything - have a stopover for your own benefit to refresh before the final leg west!

3. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

I flew London - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne and it was great. Malaysia Airlines was brilliant and the KL airport is huge, spacious and clean. It is operating under its capacity and the Malaysians are keen to make a good impression with it, so it's very well run.

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I guess it all depends on how flush you are with cash. I am in Sydney and if I had a toddler, I would catch a mid morning'ish flight to HK arriving in the evening and try to keep junior Swallow awake until HK. Then sleep through most of the trip to London from HK. Of course ideally, if I was a bit richer, I would fly to either HK or the Emirates and stopover for at least two days and then fly on to London. Phenergan as an antihistamine serves two purposes. Firstly, it should help to keep the eustachian tube pressure more stable and thus less pain and it also is a drowsy antihistamine so helps them to sleep in a strange setting.
    Good luck.

5. Yasimum's computer is a bit boogered at the moment.
    She told me to pass on that phenergan is available over the counter!
    Whatever that is.

6. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

A counter? It is a long, flat wooden thing that shop-keepers stand behind. Hmm, let me frame it in more familiar terms of reference. Like a bar, but without the booze.
    We'll keep an eye open for it. Thanks FP and Y...

7. Yeah, but it does have drugs. Some people might prefer that..