1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long division symbol in word

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by justmathssharing, Jan 12, 2013.

1. justmathssharing

justmathssharing New commenter

Does anyone know how to insert a long division symbol into a word doc? by symbol I mean the "bus shelter" ... hope that makes sense ... thanks

2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Not sure, but I'd probably do it by using a table and removing some of the borders to leave the appropriate layout. It will also allow you to space things out adequately if you are doing a worked example.

3. I can't do it on here, because of the automatic paragraph space, but you can get close by typing an upper case dash for the line

4. i couldn't see it there - but i have an old version of word, to make scanning easier - which version do you have?

5. justmathssharing

justmathssharing New commenter

I have 2007 and couldn't see it in the equation editor either ... I think I'll go with the table idea and delete some of the borders ... thanks for the responses

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

If you have smart software or similar you can find it in the gallery ... screenshot and copy into word.
    Carrie [​IMG]

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

If you don't see equation shortcut try
    choosing insert
    then equation object

anniestgermain likes this.
  8. that's what i did - and i imagine the op did too - in my version of word, a bus shelter simply isn't in the equation object menu - fractions, square roots etc are - but not a bus stop. i shall try it at school which has office word to see if it's there

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I've just had a quick look in Word, and I can't see it either. Is that because they don't use that notation in the USA?
    I also wonder whether they use degrees in the US - Excel and most programming languages seem to work in radians.

10. Molesworth2

Molesworth2 New commenter

I'm using an old version as well - 2003. If I click on equation editor (or insert equation, however you get to it) click the second button along on the the second row - then it's one of the two options on the bottom row, depending on which one you want.
    Would that I could illustrate it here...

11. rcook2sc

rcook2sc New commenter

I know that I'm behind the times on this but just in case... You can combine the use of ⟌ with the Bar accent in the equation editor and a bit of spacing manipulation. Attached is a zip file containing a Word document with an example in.

If it is useful to you I suggest that you make it into an autotext building block so that you can reuse it without the hassle of having to faff around and remembering unnatural operations. To do so:
    1. Select the long division
    2. Hold down the Alt Key and press the F3 key.
    3. A dialogue box like below should appear - give it a suitable name e.g. longdiv and click the OK button.
    4. [​IMG]
    5. Whenever you want it in a document type the name you created it under (longdiv in my case) and press the F3 key. The long division should appear the same as when you created it - just modify the numbers to those required.
    If you would like more technical detail look at the post below (you probably have to sign in/up - I recomend unsubscribing to the e-mails though) https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-get-the-long-division-symbol-not-on-Microsoft-Word-document

Attached Files: