1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long division method for dyslexic child

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by katieflump, Feb 23, 2020.

1. katieflump

katieflump New commenter

Hi guys

I have a dyslexic boy in year 6 and he really struggles with long division. He struggles with the take away aspect and becomes confused, I think there’s too many numbers on the page within the method and Ofc he often writes numbers backwards which gets more confusing however his mental calculation isn’t quite strong enough to not write the subtraction part down.
    He couldn’t get grid method as it was even harder for him. Just wondering if there is a more dyslexic friendly method ? I thought about maybe trying the ‘big 7 ‘ method to see if this helps him to organise his thoughts.
    Any ideas would really help thanks !!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

This is where a large part of me wants to say "Stuff long division - when is it ever actually going to be useful to him?" Nobody does written long division in adult life (save for a few of us who are completely competent at it and don't always have a calculator sat next to us). Far more useful to make sure he is able to estimate and use a calculator.

strawbs likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'd agree with @frustum. The only reason for teaching long division is that it is required for KS2 Sats. It won't be worth very many marks, so if he is really struggling maybe it's best to just write off those marks and teach something more useful.

Of course it is essentially the same method used for algebraic division at A level, but this seems to be a method most students grasp quite quickly even without having done long division.

strawbs likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I hadn't heard of "big 7" but it seems to be the same as chunking. I believe that if they use this method in Sats exams and get the correct answer they get both marks. However, if they get the wrong answer, they can only get a method mark if they have used formal division (long or short). At GCSE there is no required method.

5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Try you tube.

These are the first 3 that I found.

Good luck.

The thing is...we don't actually know what the future holds.

https://newsthump.com/2018/01/24/90...dly-saying-you-wont-always-have-a-calculator/

I do recall some teachers saying that studying the number of connecting the diagonals for a polygon had no uses. Now it is the basis of networking theory which is in great demand for studying social networks.

Remember our present is likely to be quite different to their future.