1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long division for LA year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsminniemouse, Aug 30, 2015.

1. mrsminniemouse

mrsminniemouse New commenter

Does anybody have a link to a nice clear online tutorial for long division for LA children? In twenty years of teaching I've never taught division in any way except repeated subtraction, chunking or simple bus stop. With the emphasis in the new curriculum on 'traditional methods' of calculations I'm very keen to make long division as easy as possible for my booster group children to grasp.

Can't help thinking that it's ridiculous to expect all children to be successful using the same method, whether or not it's 'traditional'. Some children manage perfectly well with grid method multiplication for instance, so why must they be forced to use the traditional method? Or am I wrong? Can any method be used but traditional is recommended?

Thanks for any advice. Being year 6 for last couple of years means that the new curriculum and new assessment arrangements are a fresh challenge to me this year. Learning curve ahead...

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi mmm, I guess you have a couple of options. According to the new assessment arrangements, If they can do ANY method and get the correct solution, they will get full marks. It is only if they get the question wrong that they have a chance of a method mark if and only if they use the formal long division method.

You could a) teach them this 'approved' method, or b) continue with chunking etc. I would suggest a) because you mentioned that you do simple bus stop already, so my advice would be to do this and point out to the children that the formal long division algorithm works exactly the same way, other than where we work out and write the remainders. (It's hard to show this here, but on CPD days I do this with place value counters which I also recommend using, and not just for the slow graspers either!)

Say that the traditional method simply writes down how it finds the amount to carry by showing the subtraction to find the remainder, rather than expecting you to do it in your head, as there is a chance the remainder will be a 2-digit number. That's the only difference really.

Let me know if that made no sense at all and I'll try to do better!

3. decj

decj New commenter

Andrew, I didn't know that children could still use the chunking method, provided they obtain the correct answer. I have googled this, but cannot find a relevant link. Do you know where I might find it please?

Thank you.

4. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I think that it states it in the mark scheme for the sample 2016 papers that children will be awarded 2 marks for a correct answer but 1 mark can only be given for an incorrect answer if the correct method is followed.

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

6. decj

decj New commenter

Hi again,

Thank you to all for your help. However, I still cannot find any reference to Andrew's belief namely:

If they can do ANY method and get the correct solution, they will get full marks. It is only if they get the question wrong that they have a chance of a method mark if and only if they use the formal long division method.

What I have found in the mark scheme of the 2016 sample papers is:

In arithmetic paper 1, pupils should use formal methods for calculating their answers. For long division and long multiplication questions the correct answers is awarded 2 marks. A partial credit of 1 mark will be awarded for evidence of using formal methods with one arithmetic error.

This sounds as though any methods other than long division and long multiplication are unacceptable. What do other think please?

Thanks.

7. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

The markschemes are quite clear that correct answers are awarded 2 points. They can have worked t out on their toes for all it matters... if the answer is correct! The choice of method is only relevant for the alternative single method mark.

8. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

As far as I know as a marker, it's still 2 marks for a correct answer. We don't even look at the method if the answer in the answer box is correct.

9. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

10. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi decj, I'm really sorry - I have been a bit busy and not checked in here for a while, so I feel bad for not spotting and responding to your more promptly; forgive me.

Anyway - Michael and reddevil are both spot-on; you only have to use the formal method if you want to get a method mark for an answer containing a mistake, but any method giving the right answer gets both marks.