1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long car journey with a 2-3 month old... help me work out the logistics of this one please!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MisterFlibble, Feb 27, 2012.

1. OK so we're probably bonkers but it's a journey that will have to be done!

Depending on how punctual Bump is (although I'm measuring stupidly ahead of dates - 90% of that I'm fairly sure can be dismissed owing to spare tyre throwing my fundal height into silly realms and the midwife agrees... depends how the consultant views it as well though) she should be just about 3 months when we've got to get up to the far end of Scotland for a wedding. It's not one we want to miss - it's a very close pair of our friends and hubby's one of the best men - so it's not really one we can miss to be honest. It would also mean that we can pop up to stay with the in-laws as well while there - while MIL is coming down to be around when the baby's born, FIL will be away for work then so it may well be the first chance he's had to meet the baby properly - so being able to combine staying there for a couple of days, then going to the wedding works well in that respect - I'm just trying to struggle a bit to work out the logistics of doing this.
    What I'm currently thinking is that we can break the journey a bit by slotting in an overnight at my parents (it makes the overall travel a bit longer since we're going midlands - east coast and then west coast of Scotland), meaning that my mother also gets an evening of driving me crackers doing over the top grandma... that part's about 3 hours, which is do-able with a break in the middle (hubby's legs are so long he tends to struggle with anything over a couple of hours in the car anyway)... but from there onto the scottish leg is usually a good 8-9 hours or so with lots of breaks - we know a lot of stopping off points en-route for feeds/changes/leg stretches because we've done the journey before - just not sure how mad we are for contemplating it with a baby in tow. Flying's not do-able because it's slap bang in both the English and Scottish school holidays so the flights even now are ridiculous money... train's even more of an ordeal in terms of journey times and multiple changes (have had to do that journey before when flights got cancelled and it was a good 14 hour+ epic). I know there's this 1 and a half hour rule with carseats but I'm hoping that if we break the journey lots and lots, and make sure baby gets out of the carseat then for a stretch, wiggle, feed and change we'll be ok on that front... so am I being completely nuts considering this - my logic being it's going to be a darn sight easier doing this at that age than a year plus down the line when the "are we nearly there yets" start to attack.

2. OK so we're probably bonkers but it's a journey that will have to be done!

Depending on how punctual Bump is (although I'm measuring stupidly ahead of dates - 90% of that I'm fairly sure can be dismissed owing to spare tyre throwing my fundal height into silly realms and the midwife agrees... depends how the consultant views it as well though) she should be just about 3 months when we've got to get up to the far end of Scotland for a wedding. It's not one we want to miss - it's a very close pair of our friends and hubby's one of the best men - so it's not really one we can miss to be honest. It would also mean that we can pop up to stay with the in-laws as well while there - while MIL is coming down to be around when the baby's born, FIL will be away for work then so it may well be the first chance he's had to meet the baby properly - so being able to combine staying there for a couple of days, then going to the wedding works well in that respect - I'm just trying to struggle a bit to work out the logistics of doing this.
    What I'm currently thinking is that we can break the journey a bit by slotting in an overnight at my parents (it makes the overall travel a bit longer since we're going midlands - east coast and then west coast of Scotland), meaning that my mother also gets an evening of driving me crackers doing over the top grandma... that part's about 3 hours, which is do-able with a break in the middle (hubby's legs are so long he tends to struggle with anything over a couple of hours in the car anyway)... but from there onto the scottish leg is usually a good 8-9 hours or so with lots of breaks - we know a lot of stopping off points en-route for feeds/changes/leg stretches because we've done the journey before - just not sure how mad we are for contemplating it with a baby in tow. Flying's not do-able because it's slap bang in both the English and Scottish school holidays so the flights even now are ridiculous money... train's even more of an ordeal in terms of journey times and multiple changes (have had to do that journey before when flights got cancelled and it was a good 14 hour+ epic). I know there's this 1 and a half hour rule with carseats but I'm hoping that if we break the journey lots and lots, and make sure baby gets out of the carseat then for a stretch, wiggle, feed and change we'll be ok on that front... so am I being completely nuts considering this - my logic being it's going to be a darn sight easier doing this at that age than a year plus down the line when the "are we nearly there yets" start to attack.

3. You sound like you have it sorted - lots of breaks - We didn't travel quite that far but did lots of travelling when LO was that age. My little boy was fine as long as he was fed and warm. - He also loved the car seat and would happily sleep in it x

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I've never travelled that far with either of mine, but we did do East Sussex to North Yorkshire (nearly 300 miles) with my son as a baby, about 4 weeks old, and then when my daughter was 11 days old.
    When we went with my son, he literally slept until the services about half way, where we fed and changed him, and then he woke up just before we got to my parents', so that was nice and easy. My daughter was not quite so good, but she was more of a pain to feed, so that didn't help!
    Now he's older (nearly 3) and my daughter is 9 months, we don't do such long car journeys, we find the train easier, but with a young baby it's usually fine as they sleep between stops anyway. Sounds like you've planned the stops carefully, so as long as you stop for a while each time (and you will what with feeding and changing and getting yourself a drink, and hubby stretching his legs) you'll all be fine. Don't worry too much about the car seat, it's not like you'll be doing a long journey every day.
    We're going to the South of France by train in the Easter hols with a nearly 3 year old and nearly 1 year old....I think we're the mad ones [​IMG]

5. Yeah - ideally we'd fly and get collected at the other end - but with it being the school holidays it's looking at a good £300 plus, and then we'd have to go across to Birmingham anyway to fly, with three hours drive at the other end anyway - so it's really not worth it. Train we know from past experience to be hellish... small incident involving RyanAir leaving us stranded one Christmas (the apology must have been a tenner extra)... and the complications of hubby being so flipping tall he can't fit comfortably into train seats anyway (meaning I get earache and complaining all the way!)

We've done the trip with the dogs before and had to build in tonnes of piddle breaks for them - going to have to kennel them this time as I think two canine lunatics plus baby might be a bit TOO much!

Plus I hate flying - I like being on the winning side where gravity's concerned!

6. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Don't mean to put the spanner in the works, but when we purchased a maxi cosy car seat for our first grandchild due in June, the nursery advisor in John Lewis said that he should not be in a car seat for more than two hours at a time. I know your baby will be slightly older but best of luck for the journey