1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Long break from teaching, returning to supply - advice please

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LaEscocesa, Nov 15, 2018.

1. LaEscocesa

LaEscocesa New commenter

Hi

I've been a stay at home Mum for the past seven & a half years.

I started on Supply initially (2005) then got a permanent position in Primary, where I was in the same school for 5 years - left early 2012. I loved the actual teaching but school politics, a bullying head and toxic, unsupportive environment made me very ill and shattered my confidence.

I've got my first day on supply tomorrow (!) and am apprehensive about being so rusty. The agency haven't told the school I've not taught for so long - should I mention it? Or, fake it til I make it? I'm also nervous about the Interactive whiteboard set up since I've not used one for so long.

I've read the very helpful threads about starting on supply - thanks for useful advice.

Any first hand suggestions nor advice gratefully received!

Thanks

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

Good luck tomorrow!

Most schools are too busy showing you to the classroom, to ask any questions about your teaching history. So I wouldn't worry about that.

8/10 classrooms I visit have a duff interactive whiteboard or a missing laptop, so I wouldn't worry about the ICT side of things. Just write on the normal whiteboard / flipchart instead.

You can also download trail Notebook software etc for free, to play with on your computer at home, using a mouse...

3. LaEscocesa

LaEscocesa New commenter

Thank you, that's very helpful

agathamorse likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi @LaEscocesa

It will all come back to you and in an hour or so it will be like you have never been away.

Don't worry about mentioning you have been away, just get in and enjoy your day. If there is a TA, they will show you the ropes and tell you about any trip wires. Ensure you ask the school what they expect you to mark at the end or try to mark or get kids to mark as they go during the day.

Trust you enjoy your day and let us know his you get on.

5. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

Final tip:
    Remember to look up the school's behaviour policy before you go and take a photo of the timetable for break/lunch timings etc!

agathamorse and LaEscocesa like this.
  6. LaEscocesa

LaEscocesa New commenter

Thanks pepper5 - will do. Fingers crossed!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. LaEscocesa

LaEscocesa New commenter

Thanks Northern_Miss - I've downloaded the behaviour policy & will definitely photograph the timetable - very good idea!

8. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

everyones gettin work, except me