1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lonely at the top

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by timo1, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I've been a head (small primary) for 18 months and I'm thinking of moving on. Many of the teachers are UPS and within 5-6 years off retirement and most have no interest in improving. The school has had 2 satisfactory inspections and I think we will be heading into a category next time (due anytime). Results are below NA and lots of blue all over the raise online. I have an SLT team in name only. I've dealt formally with some underperformance and now the teachers will not work with me. Any new initiative (and I've been careful not to introduce too many) isn't embraced and has limited impact. Also due to a budget deficit I had to make 2 redundancies (T.A.s).
    Governors and L.A. are fully behind me. In a recent PM review I was given an additional point. If I leave without a job, how will that effect my chances of getting another job in the future ? I've had a very successful career (in a number of schools) but the negativity in the school has just worn me down. I need a good SLT to support me to run the school, but the 3 teachers that do are barely satisfactory themselves. I don't what to end up being so worn out that I have to go off sick. Really not sure what to do ? It's my understanding that if the school goes into a category and I leave I can't be a head somewhere else

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

You could certainly go into consultancy; that happens a lot. What a shame that there are still some teachers out there strong enough and wise enough to resist someone's attempts to 'improve them'.

3. With the sudden and fatal death of local authorities we are on our own. Who has the time to make meaningful links with other exhausted Head teachers? If you can't get any help to support improvement either internally or externally it is almost impossible alone. If you stay you'll need tremendous reserves to pull through and turn poor practice around. Find something which you enjoy doing and don't look back, whatever that is. Stay at the school if it is your passion. Schools go on without us, however good we are, everyone is replaceable.

4. What do you mean 'at the top'?