1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London's self regard.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Mar 20, 2019.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

FormosaRed likes this.
  2. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

London is a bubble full of the middle class people who voted Remain?
    Hang on a minute, how come scruffy Hackney voted 79% to Remain then?

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

As far as the rest of the country is concerned London IS another country. Any analysis of differences between London and the rest confirm this.

lexus300 and FormosaRed like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

That's the BBC whose most populist station, R5Live is based in Salford...:confused:

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Great Britain is overly London-centric and it has got ever worse since the 1960s. The latest report of the financial waste of money that is HS2 says that the biggest benficiary will be .... London! Not Manchester, or Birmingham, or Leeds. That is just one tiny example.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

To many people in the rest of the country, I'm sure that Plymouth, Norwich, Middlesbrough and Preston are other countries too compared to where they live. London of course is full of people from the rest of the country and beyond. Interesting that Liddle says that in his experience, people who had stayed in the North East voted Leave and those from the North East who moved away voted Remain. So perhaps its working class people in London who come from someone else that voted Remain as much as 'Londoners in their bubble'.

chelsea2 likes this.
  8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Oh yeah, Rod Liddle. I could be wrong, but I think he was the sycophantic interviewer of John Lydon, in that programme about the latter many years ago. I'm hard pressed to decide who I'm less impressed by. Oh alright then - Liddle.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Or is it, more generally, that people who have chosen to move away from their home area are less insular, and therefore more likely to have voted 'Remain'. Perhaps 'Leavers', who have stayed close to their geographic roots, are more parochial in their views, and by extension prefer the UK to be their whole world, rather than being part of Europe.

I'm not expressing it very well, but hopefully you can get my gist?

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yep. Fancies himself as a contrarian but is most certainly part of an "élite". Can't stand the man. My husband used to work with his first wife, back in the day, and we went to the christening of their first child, followed by a very nice party in the garden of the Kent rectory they were renting at the time. Very middle class! That was before he left her and the sh.it hit the fan. She's well shot of him - obnoxious lump of blubber that he is.

11. Ivartheboneless

Only 52% of voters voted leave, not 52% of the electorate despite a decent turnout. This has been part of the argument. The whole vote was flawed, but lets not start all that again, there are enough Brexit threads. There will never be consensus or compromise. Its like all the people (MPs) who have turned on John Bercow, his ruling was absolutely correct about presenting the same bill for vote over and over. The fact that it has not been used since 1920 is irrelevant, it is parliamentary rules, exists, has never been superceded, hence correct. May's lot should know the procedures, but still Bercow gets accused of bias and all the other worse things. Agreement in this country is not going to happen about anything ever. (It might help if faecebook was closed down to reduce misinformation, but we still have The Sun, and The Daily Fail.)

12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I understood, and I think there's a lot of truth in that.

I have relatives in Lincolnshire, near Boston (lived there their entire lives), and they sneer at "city types". They're quite happy to see all the Eastern Europeans doing the unpleasant agricultural work though.

monicabilongame and nizebaby like this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

The agricultural work would not be so unpleasant if the workers were paid more than £2.50 an hour.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

It's not too surprising though when you consider the population of London is about the same as Austria or Denmark. That there are as many people living in London as the next ~19 most populated towns/cities in the UK combined.

15. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Ah. The self-righteous, judgemental Left. They don't like it up 'em do they ?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  16. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

The Editors, Producers and most of the presenters refused to move to Salford. They stayed in......

London.(South).

17. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Oh dear...

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I bet the same people who love this jerk love Jeremy Clarkson.

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Did I ever mention the occasion I was told by 22 optometrists I needed to have my eyes tested? I told them they were wasting my time asking me to referee another Specsavers - v - Vision Express match after that.

But you're right, @Ivartheboneless, the speaker's job is to ensure fair play and that's why the rules exist.

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Quite trendy and now pricey Hackney is rather more middled classed than you or Ms Abbott might think/admit, part of it featured in a cookery programme this evening for being in with the in crowd. People looking for cheap property have been pushed out to Haringey and Edmonton to the North.

burajda likes this.