1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by benkilgannon, Feb 5, 2019.

1. benkilgannon

benkilgannon New commenter

Hi, my girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to London. I’ll be in my 3rd year of teaching and looking to take on more additional responsibilities.

I have so many worries and doubts!
    Is it really worth it?
    Is it financially viable?
    Is the career progression really that great?

I’m currently in Manchester and loving my school but know progression forward will be limited for a while.

Any advice/ experiences or tips will be so helpful.

Thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Big decision! If you are happy in Manchester and, as you say, love your school - there's a great deal to be said for that. It's a big city - there must be any number of schools there.
    However, as a lifelong Londoner who loves our vibrant and cosmopolitan capital, I wouldn't want to put anyone off coming here. Living costs are very high - but there are always opportunities for career progression. There are schools of every kind, but many are the tough inner city variety. I've known many young teachers come to London for the reasons you give - many thrive, embracing the culture of the city and doing well in their jobs. I've also known more than a few who have hated every minute; feeling overwhelmed and lonely, hating everything from the litter and graffiti to the fact that they don't even know their neighbour's names. Even a good job with great career possibilities hasn't compensated for the lifestyle they felt they were missing.
    You wouldn't be coming alone, that's a good start. Only you can decide if it's what you want. Why not make a few enquiries and ask to make a few informal visits to schools? You could come down for a few days and see how you feel. Good luck!

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Remember London is huge, so different parts have different feels. The further out you go the more affordable it can be (reletively speaking) so I would agree with @sunshineneeded and say visit some different places to get an idea where you'd like to look for jobs/live. Some suggestions of differing places across the SW/S to visit - Acton, Southfields, Tooting, Balham, Stockwell, Croydon, Crystal Palace, Catford

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. benkilgannon

benkilgannon New commenter

Thank you both for replying! I’m looking to teach in Brent, Islington or Camden and live in Kilburn.

I guess the biggest pull is career progression but I’ve done the maths and I won’t actually be saving

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes, move to London. It is the best place in the world.

(Never ever go south of the river though...)

Stiltskin, Rott Weiler and jomaimai like this.
  6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Only you can make the decision as to whether London is financially viable for you. It is the most expensive part of the country to live in. Everything is going to be much costlier than Manchester - renting a flat, eating out, going to the cinema, travel etc. Do your research and sums carefully before you jump.

7. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Manchester is a large city and if you are prepared to move school, then I'm sure you will be able to get a post with more responsibility there. I don't think the extra money you get for teaching in London will make up for the higher costs. I think your girlfriend's potential earning needs to be factored in.
    If you want the experience of living in London, then go for it.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No decision has to be permanent. You can go to London to give it a try, or you can give yourself a few more years to look for career development in NW and of course there is such a huge area that is commutable around Manchester. You don't really say why you want to make such a big change so its hard to understand when you say you love your school. Why the rush?

sunshineneeded likes this.
  9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

North of the river always seems like a vast no-man's land to me. Whereas here in the south, our leafy suburbs are just 15 minutes from the city centre and about the same from the beautiful Kent countryside - and just about an hour from lovely beaches.
    And on a good day, the train service will actually deliver you to these places!

Stiltskin and Dorsetdreams like this.
  10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Yes don't go south of the river you may not want to go back :p