1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LONDON TOPIC??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Katie MH, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Hi I am in Reception and our Theme next term is London. Does anyone have any great ideas linked to this please? Thank you.

2. Anyone?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are you in London? How old are the children?

[there little details are so useful.... ;) ]

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whoops: reception.

Still, it'd help to know where you are.

5. No we're not in London but we are going on a trip there in March. We are going on an open top bus and then a boat ride! Our theme last term was Transport and Travel.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

What's your theme in March?

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, you said in your OP. London.

8. London. As the whole school is going on trip to London and the chidlren are very keen and interestedI decided to scrap the original theme 'clothes' and make it 'London'. So it is obviosuly very broad but I'm not sure of exactly what to do.
    Portraits of Queen
    Making buildings/bridges from junk
    Make city using lego

9. Isn't there a book called "'Katie in London"? or similar, may not be 'Katie'. It is a series, one of other books is about 'Katie (?) and the sunflowers' to do with VanGogh.
    Could you use Paddington Bear?

Lucy

10. Thank you Lucy. I have just purchased some books off Amazon linked to London. What I'm struggling with is thinking of some creative or practical ideas linked to London??

11. Any other ideas?

12. Have you looked at the bbc schools website. There is a video and powerpoint pres of Barnaby bear going to london. shows buckingham palace, the guards, buses, black taxis, hyde park, etc which can can also be printed and laminated to display or talk about. There are online actvities and a map.

13. Hi,
    I have just looked on the website but can't find what you are on about??

14. I have just had a look too, they have changed it!!! Look up this thread though

Barnaby Bear's trip to London Rating

Geography > Key Stage 1 > Where in the world is Barnaby Bear?

A PowerPoint presentation showing Barnaby Bear's scrapbook from his visit to London.As well as fitting in with'Where in the world is Barnaby Bear',

Submitted by carrielou on 28 August 2006 1 item

15. Thank you so much.

16. I once did some line work in Art loosely based on the London Underground map. Basically it was about experimenting with lines (thick, thin, wavy, zig zag, straight, curved, spiral, etc) using different media in different colours. I gave the children the freedom to do the lines as they wished, and the results were pleasing, making for a nice looking, colourful display, which was clearly children's own work.

17. You could make models of the landmarks of London?

London Eye could use an old bicyle wheel?