1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London this weekend

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolatechip, Feb 8, 2012.

1. What should I do? Where should I go?
    Please bear in mind
    • lack of funds
    • bored teenager in tow
    • I don't want to be cold

2. What should I do? Where should I go?
    Please bear in mind
    • lack of funds
    • bored teenager in tow
    • I don't want to be cold

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Without knowing anything about your interests I suggest you look here:
    http://www.timeout.com/london/
    There's a section 'Cosy things to do in London'
    Look at the tickets and offers section too.

4. Take a trip on a tour boat - make sure you get one with a commentary - it's a really nice relaxing way to see the city from the water.

The Science Museum is brilliant - but depends on your teenager whether they'll enjoy it or not.

Hamley's - the same.

5. Go to Borough Market, wander down to The Clink Museum, then onto the boat (cant remember name) just down from it with museum on board. Then have lunch/food in one of the many restaurants along the river.
    Walk uptown and wander through the West End. Possibly down to Kensington and on to Harrods for a look.
    All of the museums are free and The Natural History one is excellent.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

How can a teenager be bored in London? So much to see and do!

7. There's HMS Belfast which is between London Bridge and Tower Bridge or you can also go on the replica Golden Hinde which is near the Clink. If you wander further on down past the Clink you will come to Tate Modern. Your teenager might be interested to know that the whole area down there used to be outside the jurisdiction of the City of London and was where all the dodgy dealings went on. Brothels (one on the site of what is now The Anchor pub), gambling dens, bear baiting (in Bear Garden) and theatres (eg The Globe).

8. Teenagers can be bored anywhere!
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Would love to visit HMS Belfast and Cutty Sark but sadly both are closed. [​IMG]

9. Golden Hind - open. I like the sound of Borough Market too.

10. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But that's expensive - like £12 - £20 each.
    A cheaper way to go on the water is to get the river boat commuter service from the pier just by the London Eye and go to Greenwich. That's about £4. No commentary, but if you have a map - print one off - you can follow that.
    You see: Big Ben (behind you), Westminster Abbey (ditto), London Eye (above you), Savoy Hotel, Globe Theatre, St Paul's, Tower Bridge (you go under it), the wobbly Millenium Bridge (ditto),Tower of London, Canary Wharf big buildings, I am doing this from memory, folks... I know it is not on order . . .
    And take them for lunch to Covent Garden (fast food outlets, a street market and usually junglers, clowns, etc.).
    Another cheap thing is a bus ride. Public transport, not chilly, expensive open-top tourist bus. The No. 15 route is popular- catch it outside Hamley's on Regent Street, it goes to Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, St Paul's, Monument, Tower of London and Tower Bridge.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

12. Wrap up warm! It is absolutely freezing in London - the snow has gone but it's coming back they say.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Cheap in London is always a relative term. Print off restauarant vouchers to get best value for food - Pizza Express often have useful offers. We love just walking around but it is going to be freezing. There are lots of walking routes online that we have enjoyed. ( We enjoyed the legal area - Lincoln's Inn Fields and also Bloomsbury. Brick Lane and Spitalfields is so atmospheric too - Would your offspring be interested to see the Olympic site out at Stratford and the new Westfield shopping centre - you could perhaps get some leverage by including that in exchange for the British Museum - which they would probably love once they got there - it is so amazing. If you invested in underground day tickets I bet they would enjoy that despite themselves - it's fun I think and you could travel round some big sights easily. It is warm too.

14. Do you have any Tesco vouchers? Go to Rewards and see if you can use them for much more than their value.
    The mention of the Hard Rock Cafe reminded me that's how a friend of mine amused and fed some young relatives when she 'did' London with them a year or so ago.

15. Someone above mentioned the British Museum. Good idea if it's cold. There's a Grayson Perry exhibition at the moment on there that you and your teen might enjoy.

If it's cold, then it might be a good idea to do galleries etc. If you fancy some music, Ronnie Scott's jazz club is particularly family friendly. Or Edgeware road for super cheap and delicious Middle Eastern food - I highly recommend Patogh which is a Persian place where they serve piles of amazing food for about £6 per head - and you can bring your own drink.

I think there's lots of children's literature events on at the Southbank at the moment - might be worth checking out. If you have a timeout iphone application (or go to their website) you can search for stuff to do in London via location, category or date.

Have fun : )

16. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Science and Natural History Museum are free. (...so are most of the art galleries, but as you have teenagers in tow....)

17. and if I'm not mistaken it is still an old fashioned routemaster

18. It's snowing right now in SE London - big fat flakes

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Snowing and settled in SW London . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

not fair we only have small flakes in east london lol.....typical that s those south of the river get bigger!
    there is im told a dockland museum somewhere, also the tate modern in the old battersea power station They wil be out of the cold. ot the national gallery in trafalger squ.......victoria and albert is free and worth a perusal if you have time.