1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London hangover

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 15, 2018.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I always feel exhausted after a trip to London. It shakes up my suburban, middleaged outlook. Staying with son 2 is always intense and now he lives with his partner, there is another strong personality to factor into the equation. I feel drained - but it was great. What a place to live.

marymoocow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I lived in London for 10 years. I left 31 years ago and have never had the desire to go back even for a visit.

kibosh, marymoocow, Alice K and 2 others like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think London (& maybe other 'great' cities) are fantastic places to live in if you have money & time, but hell if you don't. I enjoy my visits there.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I live in greater london.I would hardly describe it a great place to live,,well unless you like the plethora of coffee shops opening up and a sort of cafe society.
    Lots of building of high rise flats, and the disapperance of green spaces as they build on them.I suppse if your young and like such a life its fine.For me I come back from holiday and wish we could live elsewhere.(before you start, no the wife wont move!)

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Even seeing it on TV makes me shudder.

If I want a coffee? I have a kettle.

Take me away from my pond and my ducks and my trees and my dogs and I'm ill at ease and unhappy.

kibosh, silkywave, needabreak and 5 others like this.
  6. Alceanne1

Alceanne1 Senior commenter

I had a three year contract in Denmark Hill in the late 80s.I lived in a houseshare in Herne Hill for a year and commuted from Cambridgeshire for two years.

Having grown up in rural locations I felt thoroughly stifled in Herne Hill. Even if you went for a walk in Brockwell or Ruskin parks, after about 10 minutes of walking you were out the other side! Commuting was much better, even though it did use up about 4 hours of the day!

I'm still reluctant to go into the city, even for a day trip. Although, on a nice summer's day I have occasionally thought how much nicer it is than I remember.

nizebaby, marymoocow, Alice K and 4 others like this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Having been born there and lived there for part of my career, I'm very fond of London and often pop back for concerts, theatre trips and opera. However, I do find it increasingly exhausting - especially a couple of weeks ago when some of the tubes were on strike and so it meant standing with all the other sardines on a bus to get back to Marylebone.

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

My first visit to London was when I was 17. I met my friends there but travelled alone. I hated every second I was there! It was hot, crowded and felt very, very strange. I couldn't wait to get home.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To be fair to Mrs olds, I do thin some people find it difficult to consider relocating to somewhere new @oldsomeman

I went to Uni in London and found it was a great place to study, but when I finished and had had my fill of City life I was glad to move away.

marymoocow and magic surf bus like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

I live 'out in the sticks' and love being away from London where I grew up. A great place to visit for music (RFH, RAH), opera (ENO) and theatre. A great place to get out of when that has been done.

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Some of us are stuck here, y'know! :)

marymoocow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I shall be having my annual 4-day trip to London in early November. Trade show at Excel in the Docklands.

Apartment overlooking the Shard and the Tower; so nice, easy trip each morning, and convenient to get into town for the evenings. (In fact one morning, I have booked to get to work by boat and cable car - almost like on holiday)

But that will be enough for a year.

nomad and magic surf bus like this.
  13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I spent three years living in London-loved it. It was a great place to be a student. I no longer live there, but on the add occasion when I revisit, I get a real buzz. I love the atmosphere. It has so much to offer. It's just a shame that concerts and shows are so expensive. I enjoy popping into the museums from time to time and I enjoy walking in the parks and having a wander along the South Bank, where there is always lots of things going on.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I did my PGCE in SW London then worked in the same LEA for 6 years, living at first in the suburbs then out in Guildford for the final 3 years after we got married. It was interesting having easy access to the big smoke when were younger but I'm glad we fled somewhere more affordable, quiet, and northern before our eldest arrived. Plus the regional differences in property prices back then meant we pocketed a hefty sum even after moving into a bigger house with (gasp) a garden.

My last extended trip there was after a gap of 15 years, so a lot had changed in the meantime. Most noticeable to me was the redevelopment of the derelict docklands into Mega City One, the increasingly car hostile traffic system, and the variety of foreign languages I heard spoken whilst walking around. On the plus side the Tube was cleaner. I was back down there (mercifully briefly) only a week ago, in a motel in Chingford. I dropped Mrs MSB off at Walthamstow Tube station first thing then fled north to Bletchley Park for the day. Driving round that bit of Greater London at rush hour I thanked the Lord I no longer lived dahn sarf. We regularly have to commute through Peter Kay's Car Share land around Manchester, but London is in a league of its own. It's strange when you even consider somewhere like Milton Keynes to be blessed relief from the hurly burly of the capital.

I grew up in a village, and have lived in a very similar village for the last 30 years - the city life is not for me.

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I didn't like living in London but love visiting.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Me too, it always feels like a real treat! There is always so much to see and do, and I love the buzz (especially near Christmas). I always make a trip in December just for the hot chestnuts on Oxford Street. When we were little my dad would drive us into London at night just to look at all the Christmas shop window displays and the lights. It was always far more exciting than the day itself!

kibosh, Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I enjoy visiting London... but is so crowded and busy...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have a special fondness for London, as my parents lived there when I was little and I had a great time there as a student. I shall certainly take my grandchildren there later when they're old enough to appreciate it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nice place to visit; wouldn't want to live there. Did, but left after 2 yrs.

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I live in greater London and I love it. I like the fact that we've got a wealth of parks and open spaces on the doorstep, but can be in the city within 35 minutes door to door. I love the buzz of being in the centre. Walking the south bank from London Bridge to Waterloo is one of my favourite Saturday afternoon trips out because there's always something going on just out on the street.
    I think if you're an extroverted introvert it's the ideal place. Busy but anonymous, I can be by myself in a crowd not having to worry about making small talk or bumping into someone I know. It's like getting a tiny window into a million different lives, a little snapshot of other people's day to day existence. The feeling of sonder always takes me aback and I find it both fascinating and humbling. A reminder that our own little lives are so tiny.